A bunch of bottles and a few insulators

yacorie

Elite Member
So we were driving down to the CT shoreline for a soccer game and we were passing through an area with a decent sized park along the River. We stopped in to scope it out and see what the situation is for MDing. While we were checking it out we noticed all kinds of broken glass and bottles along the river.

We spent a few hours on 2 consecutive days looking around for bottles along the banks. We found a few that were good enough to bring home along with some insulators.

My plan is to keep the colored bottles, the bottles with embossing and anything that I think is unique.

I welcome any comments if people know anything about any of these.

What I know about insulators, these are common brands and common colors. I know nothing of the porcelein insulators and whether they are worth keeping.

I'm going to break it up into a few different posts to keep things straight and will try to describe what they are.

Photo 1:
4 white milk glass cosmetic type jars. One of them is ornate and says Larkin Co. Buffalo on the bottom

Photo 2:
James Kieller and Sons Crock - Marmalade. It appears there are varients from looking it up online but its cool

Photo 3:
Two ink wells or perfume type bottles. The one on the left has embossing on the bottom. I think it says The Park (something) Co. Iansville WIS. The other one has writing on the bottom that says "Cartier's Made in the USA"

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 678
Photo 4:

Left Bottle - NL&Mohegan Dairies milk bottle. It has the print on it but its hard to see.
Middle - Brown Sparlens bottle
Right - heavy brown beer bottle

Photo 5:
Left - Yacht club salad dressing
Middle - Just says "warranted" on the front
Right - Unmarked

Photo 6:
No marks except small marks on the bottom. The poison bottle will go in the trash

Photo 7:

These are all unmarked clear bottles

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 648
Photo 8:
Essentially unmarked unless just a volume on the front or small mark on bottom

Photo 9:

3 different Castoria bottles. They have Castoria on one side and Chas H. Fletchers on the other. All 3 are different bottles

Photo 10:
Left - Bottom says ILLINI and the front and back both have a 4 in a circle with a little detail
Middel - Metho Laxen B.P. Co on the side
Right - United States Medicine Co - New York

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 682
Photo 11:
Left - bottle says ARDEN on bottom
Middle - H.E. Tucker Druggist - Turner Falls, MASS on front
Right - Bottom says Liquid Veneer

Photo 12:
Left - Van Duzer on the side, New York on other side
Middle - California Syrup Company, CALIFIC, Sterling Products (Inc) Supressor
Right - Utley and Jone Pharmacists, 149 Main St Norwich, CT

Photo 13:
Random bottles. Small brown vial says BELL-ANS

Photo 14:
4 aqua insulators. Whitehall Tatum No1, 2 Hemingray 40s, and a Brookfield

Photo 15:
A bunch of random porcelein insulators

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 640
Wow, looks like you were busy out there.

The ornate milkglass Larkin (Soap Co.) cream jar is kinda odd. The clear corkers with the ringed necks (pic 6) are usually always household cleaners/polishes/ flavoring extracts and date from WW1 to early 20s; The 2 green ones (pic 8) are nice, and the one on the right is possibly 1890s as is the med in pic 11. The Cal. Fig Syrup Co. in pic 12 has an unusual top. The insulators are common ones, but most are except for rare color variations and early threadless types.

You have the makings of a nice collection there! :goodjob: I'd be hitting that place again.

I bet you have the bottle bug now?

Looks like you found a bottle honeyhole. I dont know anything about identiting beside what you can find online, or value. But looks like a days worth of fun finding them!!! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the responses. It’s not a hard spot to get to and it’s clear that a bunch of people look for bottles here. I have no intention of digging since it’s a park on the side of the river but I will definitely keep it on the radar when I’m down that way.

I’ll probably keep all the colored, embossed or cool ones and put the rest in recycling. For instance the stuff in photo 7

Oh yeah, that's some good bottle hunting grounds! Down river might be worth searching too. Those inkwells are likely Parker and Carter; common inkwell brand names. Poison bottles are collectible, so don't discard them for saying POISON on them. Just don't drink any contents. :laughing:
You have the right ideas on what to save: colored, embossed, fancy, unique. Cork tops and blob tops are worthy. Black glass is hard to find.
Keep it up. I like the crock jar too!

Oh yeah, that's some good bottle hunting grounds! Down river might be worth searching too. Those inkwells are likely Parker and Carter; common inkwell brand names. Poison bottles are collectible, so don't discard them for saying POISON on them. Just don't drink any contents. :laughing:
You have the right ideas on what to save: colored, embossed, fancy, unique. Cork tops and blob tops are worthy. Black glass is hard to find.
Keep it up. I like the crock jar too!

Just want to add concerning poisons: Many are deep green or cobalt blue and usually have one panel (or more) with rows of dots or lines so they could be recognized as poisons in the dark. Few even have skull/crossbones.

I'm a clad guy and I know nothing about old bottles and such. However, what a super impressive collection of antiques! Wow! The detail and craftsmanship is remarkable.

You know, what is it about insulators? I guess there's some rare or unusual ones out there but most are so common you can get a box of them for a few bucks at a flea market. But! if you find one while metal detecting, or bottle hunting or just walking in the woods, it turns into a special find. Then they get washed and proudly displayed on our mantel. It certainly lends credence to the old phrase, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Much to my wife's chagrin.

You know, what is it about insulators? I guess there's some rare or unusual ones out there but most are so common you can get a box of them for a few bucks at a flea market. But! if you find one while metal detecting, or bottle hunting or just walking in the woods, it turns into a special find. Then they get washed and proudly displayed on our mantel. It certainly lends credence to the old phrase, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Much to my wife's chagrin.
I’ve found dozens of old clear and colored Hemmingrays just walking the old R/R tracks, the old inter-urban electric line. Yep, couldn’t get 50 cents a piece for ‘em...so I tacked a long 2x4 onto my electric pole, they’re on display there. My aunt in her 70’s thought it was the real thing...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom