• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

elderly parents hid gold in house

skiBunny

Mom died a couple of years ago and dad now has bad alzheimers. They may have hidden some gold in the house (whether coins or bars is unknown), according to my aunt. Dad was pretty handy so it could be anywhere. My guess is inside (in a previous house, he hid it in the garage rafters). The ground here freezes, so they wouldn't be able to get it for half the year, so I don't think it's in the ground.

1. Do you think a detector could help me? i.e. to scan the walls, floors, ceilings, overtop the insulation in the attic?
2. Is there any particular detector you suggest?
3. How much expertise would be needed - i.e. should I hire someone? Thanks very much for your help.

Start with a black light and look for repaired areas on the walls. Then check for loose boards around the baseboards or window sills, this is where hidden compartments were most often. Check those out first, if you have no luck, then check back in for more suggestions from our members.

There are two books you should find. They are often for sale at Amazon.com.

Both of them discuss indoor hiding places. They are:

Search! by James R. Warnke
The Stash Book by Peter Hjersman

These will give you an excellent chance to find your gold.

Sorry to hear about the folks. My dad had Alzheimer's, it is a bit*h :no:

Can you get your dad to start talking about gold? My dad has no short term memory but his long term was fantastic. Try bringing up the subject and see if he can respond???

Too many nails in the wall and floors to use a detector effectively.

Like WL said, look for secret compartments in floors, walls, built-in bookcases, behind hot air registers and in the basement.

The right detector can be used if conditions are favorable. But if this person can post pictures of the inside of the house, then we can get down to really suggesting some possible hiding spots!

The right detector can be used if conditions are favorable. But if this person can post pictures of the inside of the house, then we can get down to really suggesting some possible hiding spots!

You thinking of a ground hog with that little hockey puck coil? :yes:

no pics

Unfortunately, the house is in another city so I can't easily get pictures. If I get some, I'll post them. But I'm reading all your posts and making notes! My aunt suggested the fireplace/chimney - she kinda questioned my mom's answers to why they never used the fireplace. But there's a big iron insert in the fireplace. I wish I had a pic to show you. I started lightly tugging at the frame & also the padding that the folks had stuffed there for drafts but it seemed pretty permanently installed. I decided it unlikely that they would hide gold there - too difficult to get the insert out. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

I read an article in the latest Western and Eastern Treasures magazine about a guy who had hunted a house for a hidden cache with a metal detector. I don't think it explained exactly how he did it, but could you use a gold specific machine or a machine with a "prospecting mode"? You would think that a cache would give a strong signal where as nails and wiring could be ignored.
By the way, in the story, the cache was hidden in a compartment made in one of the steps in the staircase I believe.

Yes a hockey puck coil on a TID machine would be a good combo. Nails (iron), wires (copper or aluminum), plumbing (iron or copper) and gold. Should be able to find variations on any decent TID with minimal effort. I sure would love the chance to look for something like that! Good Luck!

Try a stud finder...you can pick them up at Lowes or Home Depot cheap.

The studs in the home are or should be the same distance apart. Search between where studs should be, then look for repaired wall. Only problem is it only covers small area, could take all day for one room.

You said he was handy, and if it is hidden then it may be near the fireplace, you said the padding seems kinda soild of permenant, If hidden then it wouldnt be easy to access, Maybe the fireplace would be woth checking out, loose bricks?? extra bricks?? Floors?? wall? Bookshelfs?? high up in or on top of cupboards?? you can use a detector in all metal, nails will be small short signals , and gold cache will be strong big signal even in all metal.......I would not hire anyone to look, unless you plan on shadowing the person, they may find it or discover where it is and try some funny stuff, or if they dont have any luck then they still want an hourly rate and will take there sweet time during the search......I would employ any family members to help with the task, was Dad into woodworking?? think about what he was really into and that may give some clues, maybe he did a lot of yardwork?? A lot of oldder folks have safe deposit boxes that noone knows about, when my Grandmother passed, the family was shocked to learn she has a safe deposit box loaded with goodies......

Also check the tops of solid wood doors. They use to cut a groove in the top and put the money there.

No way the kids could find that right?

wow, grrove on the top of the door- what a great idea!

would have never thought of that!
Also check the tops of solid wood doors. They use to cut a groove in the top and put the money there.

Note to self: If ever at Carol and Vlad's... check solid door tops. Got it!
waytogo.gif

I could think of 3 places

Old matresses, covered well in the backyard and a abandoned outhouse. Ive heard of many caches of bottles worth some serious coin down those old holes. My take. Look in the most obvious places like a car. It can easily be taken apart and reassembled in a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom