Headphone switches.

Big Treble

Forum Supporter
So I am looking to upgrade my phones, and have never used any with anything but a volume control.

First I see a "limiter" switch on several models. The way I understand it, with this on it cuts out when the volume gets too high? Never had signal blow my ears out yet, and not sure if this is important.

The second button or switch I see( at least on the GG Ultimates) refers to detector compatibility. This confuses me more, I always thought if the Jack was the same size and it produces sound...yup it's compatible.

What am I missing? What do I need to know? I fairly sure I understand the importance of impedance, ohms and hertz. Just not the fancy buttons, switches, levers, latches and whirligigs. I also notice while they all tend to use the same housing, some like the black widow are bigger. And if I learned anything about marketing bigger is better and more gizmos is better... And I better get one.

Just would like to know if the extra features are important or needed.

SkiWhiz is the headphone guy on the forum. I am sure he will chime in soon and educate us all.

Thanks, IDK. the more and more I think about it I might be leaning more towards the Kleer Technology wireless, I am told the ohms don't matter in wireless.

Thanks, IDK. the more and more I think about it I might be leaning more towards the Kleer Technology wireless, I am told the ohms don't matter in wireless.

I have been wireless for the last few seasons and I LOVE it! I run the Auvios and also the TDK WR700.

Try this

All the metal detectors currently on the market, with one exception , only use one audio channel. That is why they only have one speaker. Most headphones are taken from the consumer audio market and have a stereo plug. The detector manufacturer is then faced with wiring two headphone channels to one source. It can be done two ways and some current detectors use each. Unfortunately it is not a perfect fix and it can also lead to some weird side effects such as lowered output, adjustments to one ear affecting the other, shorted connections, sound in only one ear, or no sound at all. If you have noticed weird problems when using your old home audio headphones on your detector it is due to this compromise in wiring. These problems can be solved by purchasing an adapter but that is just one more thing to buy, one more thing to lose in the grass, and it makes the plug and socket a bigger target for damage by the inevitable branches and rocks.

I do know this.

All headphones not compatible with Minelab CTX.

So owners of CTX looking to upgrade their headphones--- be careful

Back
Top Bottom