Past couple of hunts

3.14R8

Elite Member
I have not been able to get out much this year. I hope the 2nd half of summer that I get out more. I found some rings, two of them are 10k and a few silver coins. I found a strange piece that looks like a huge bullet about 3" long and the diameter of a quarter, very heavy like lead. Any ID ideas?

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 281
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 303
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 291
:dingding: Congrats on the gold! On the 3" lead bullet looking thing I was thinking an old "plumb bob" - but I'm no expert.

Nice looking loot!

Congrats!

I'll venture to say, that's a tip to an old soldering iron, a bigger one...

<°)))>{

Some very nice hunts right there. Congratulations.
Thank you WildDigger GL out there!
:dingding: Congrats on the gold! On the 3" lead bullet looking thing I was thinking an old "plumb bob" - but I'm no expert.
Thanks Felix, when ever I find gold I think of that ringy dingy smiley face guy, he's the coolest!
Nice hunting! Congrats on the gold, silvers, buffalo, and wheat!
Thanks LandOLincoln and good luck to you.
Nice looking loot!

Congrats!

I'll venture to say, that's a tip to an old soldering iron, a bigger one...
Thanks Ice, I think you hit the nail on the head. A very big soldering iron. Hope your season is going good, GL Ice!
<°)))>{

Nice finds! Congrats on the gold and silver!
Thanks Slimpickuns hope your gold and silver is piling up! GL.

Hey Nice Work! That heavy thingy reminds me of before there was Garmin...a guy had to have a heavy little dealie to toss over the side to ascertain the depth...A lot of us just used a heavy sinker, or a small window sash weight, or something similar, not too heavy and easy to toss and retrieve...some were brass....

Before Garmin, You Had to have one!....No topo charts, or GPS or any idea of where you were half the time out on the water........After just a little use, a guy could 'feel' the composition of the bottom by bouncing it along... you knew if it was mud or gravel or rock or whatever...and the current strength even, so a guy knew where to drop anchor and fish at a nice gravelly drop off edge or submerged logpile or something....then a guy would take care to look at the shoreline and try to triangulate some features so you could get back on the Hotspot! It was not easy! ..

It had to be sort of smallish and easy to deploy over and over, yet get down fast...Thats where Samuel Langhorn Clemmons came up with his pen name...from tossing a 'depth finder' over the side constantly and hollering out the depth of two fathoms, or..."Mark Twain"...12' of safe water and easy running...Is there an eye on the top of it to tie a line?

Theres probably a lot of them old skool depth finders down there of various configuations...its all a guy had to know what the depth and composition was like...40yrs ago....every boat or fisherman had several....now EVERY single boat out there has a Garmin, except for mine! I still dont have one! I dont need it! I just shadow the other boats and fish where They are fishing!:laughing:

Boats have WAY too much power nowadays, and they are sold to folks who have not an idea how dangerous a river system can be when speed is involved...250hp on a fishing boat would been unthinkable not that long ago...

Sheeit!...If you had a Johnson 16hp Sea Horse you were really something! I still run a 15hp four stroke on my big boat...its plenty fast enough...tracked it at 17mph on my cell phone one day! Starts on the first pull! :laughing:

Attachments

• extended running.jpg
    extended running.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 219
  • river boat1.jpg
    river boat1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 210
  • boat and 2 salmon.jpg
    boat and 2 salmon.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 206
[/QUOTE]I found a strange piece that looks like a huge bullet about 3" long and the diameter of a quarter, very heavy like lead. Any ID ideas?[/QUOTE]

My guess would be window weight. Yet no eyelet on top? mmm?

Nice finds!

:dingding: Congrats on the gold! On the 3" lead bullet looking thing I was thinking an old "plumb bob" - but I'm no expert.[/QUOTE

I'd have to 2nd Felix's appraisal of the 3" lead piece. More like an old plumb bob. Coming from a career that dealt with ammo and guns all day every day its def. not a bullet.

Hey Nice Work! That heavy thingy reminds me of before there was Garmin...a guy had to have a heavy little dealie to toss over the side to ascertain the depth...A lot of us just used a heavy sinker, or a small window sash weight, or something similar, not too heavy and easy to toss and retrieve...some were brass....

Before Garmin, You Had to have one!....No topo charts, or GPS or any idea of where you were half the time out on the water........After just a little use, a guy could 'feel' the composition of the bottom by bouncing it along... you knew if it was mud or gravel or rock or whatever...and the current strength even, so a guy knew where to drop anchor and fish at a nice gravelly drop off edge or submerged logpile or something....then a guy would take care to look at the shoreline and try to triangulate some features so you could get back on the Hotspot! It was not easy! ..

It had to be sort of smallish and easy to deploy over and over, yet get down fast...Thats where Samuel Langhorn Clemmons came up with his pen name...from tossing a 'depth finder' over the side constantly and hollering out the depth of two fathoms, or..."Mark Twain"...12' of safe water and easy running...Is there an eye on the top of it to tie a line?

Theres probably a lot of them old skool depth finders down there of various configuations...its all a guy had to know what the depth and composition was like...40yrs ago....every boat or fisherman had several....now EVERY single boat out there has a Garmin, except for mine! I still dont have one! I dont need it! I just shadow the other boats and fish where They are fishing!:laughing:

Boats have WAY too much power nowadays, and they are sold to folks who have not an idea how dangerous a river system can be when speed is involved...250hp on a fishing boat would been unthinkable not that long ago...

Sheeit!...If you had a Johnson 16hp Sea Horse you were really something! I still run a 15hp four stroke on my big boat...its plenty fast enough...tracked it at 17mph on my cell phone one day! Starts on the first pull! :laughing:
Ther's no hole or eyelet but they very well could have used it as a depth finder. That's one sweet boat you've got there Mud very nice! Nice catch of the day too! Now I'm hungry!

Back
Top Bottom