Minnesota Metal Detecting Scoop

rocketmoon2

Minnesota, land of hockey and many different geologic lake bottoms. Fat clay, Sand, pebbles, rocks and silt all create their own challanges for scoops. I built this scoop last summer when i first got my water machine, but Im only getting to posting it now. The basket is acctually a heavy piece of galvanized sheat metal i found while metal detecting in some woods. I bent it to a 9.5" diameter with a very pointy end for scooping in to clay and a slight angle on the handle. I intentionally left a spot along the back undrilled so i can set a magnet in( it really helps with those pesky hair pins). The shaft is a carbon fiber Mission hockey shaft i had lying around from my hockey days. I originally used a wood hockey stick but the scoop is heavy enough already, so i went with the air filled, lighter and stronger carbon fiber. Hope a few of you get a chuckel at this, thanks

Attachments

• scoop 1.jpg
    scoop 1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,192
  • scoop 2.jpg
    scoop 2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,090
Nice work there.

After looking at several homemade scoops, I've decided I could have made a dozen for what I paid for mine three years ago. :no:

Nice to see some MN folk on the forum. I was born on the range in Hibbing.

Live in the burbs now, south of the river.

Hmmmmm.

I'm thinking you wanted to mount that 90 degrees from where it is, so you can scoop the same way you take a wrist shot.

Pretty slick Rocketmoon.

A hockey stick never gets too far away from the ponds up here do they? Frozen or not.

Pretty slick Rocketmoon.

A hockey stick never gets too far away from the ponds up here do they? Frozen or not.

Deffinitly dont, you can take the hockey player out of minnesota, but not the hockey out of your blood i guess, lol it works pretty great though, only thing i plan on doing is making a foot hold on the back of it. Ill be back water hunting at my spot in MN come august, i cant wait.

Back
Top Bottom