New here. Metallic rock?

PatL

Hey, first time posting. Found this black "rock" on the beach today. Was coming up as 40 on the Garret Ace 300 depicting some form of iron. Let me know if you can help me ID this piece. Thanks

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

Thanks for the responses. How are these hot rocks created? Do they have any significance?

Thanks for the responses. How are these hot rocks created? Do they have any significance?
They have significance of annoyance. Welcome from Mo.

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk

Smack it with a hammer to make sure there isn't something encrusted inside. Nothing to lose unless you collect rocks.

Cliff

Smack it with a hammer to make sure there isn't something encrusted inside. Nothing to lose unless you collect rocks.

Cliff

I agree with cliff, at least break it open and make sure there isn't something encrusted inside. Beach hunters call them cookies, could very well be something in the middle. Then again, it could be a hot rock too, keep us posted and welcome from central MA!

Can't tell much except it is black.

Coal can show up as a hot rock as I have dug a few pieces of coal.

Is it heavy or light???
Does it attract a Magnet???

What you have found is a piece of coal. Probably anthracite or "hard coal".
Being from the "coal region" of PA, I find the damn stuff all the time.
One of my favorite spots is a farm field near a railroad [which was laid in the 1850's.] and had a house MANY years ago. I get 40-42 on the AT Max all the time and so far every time , in that field, it has been ANOTHER lump of coal.:(
Of course that same field has given me a 1925 SLQ,a 1775 KGIII, 1908d dime, and some other good stuff.
It's 105 acres of great hunting and has also given me 3 or 4 very nice arrow heads.

I do say that while I can ID the hot rock pretty easy by sight and know nothing will be in it, I do enjoy bashing them open just to destroy them for annoying me :lol:

What you have found is a piece of coal. Probably anthracite or "hard coal".
Being from the "coal region" of PA, I find the damn stuff all the time.
One of my favorite spots is a farm field near a railroad [which was laid in the 1850's.] and had a house MANY years ago. I get 40-42 on the AT Max all the time and so far every time , in that field, it has been ANOTHER lump of coal.:(
Of course that same field has given me a 1925 SLQ,a 1775 KGIII, 1908d dime, and some other good stuff.
It's 105 acres of great hunting and has also given me 3 or 4 very nice arrow heads.

Yes, definitely Anthracite after reading more about it

Can't tell much except it is black.

Coal can show up as a hot rock as I have dug a few pieces of coal.

Is it heavy or light???
Does it attract a Magnet???

Figured out it's a piece of hard coal. Moderate weight, not heavy nor light.

Back
Top Bottom