Blindsided Monday ... more time to detect and enjoy life now

castleberry

Well as the title implies had a major life change Monday that, once the shock was over, will be a new chapter of my life.

Got the call at 8:30AM from my longtime friend and recently appointed boss that I had been selected for a layoff.. almost 24 years with the company and out of the blue its bam, today is your last day, 1 month severance.. see ya...

Was in shell shock at first but now I feel better and stress free, more so that I have felt in years. Thankfully my wife and I are and have always been disciplined with our finances so Im just going to call this early retirement at 58.5 years old and look forward to the many new doors that will open for us now.

So its Thursday morning now and instead of heading off to work, Im looking at where I will detect some this morning ... Life is good...:yes:

Cheers

Brian

Well as the title implies had a major life change Monday that, once the shock was over, will be a new chapter of my life.

Got the call at 8:30AM from my longtime friend and recently appointed boss that I had been selected for a layoff.. almost 24 years with the company and out of the blue its bam, today is your last day, 1 month severance.. see ya...

Was in shell shock at first but now I feel better and stress free, more so that I have felt in years. Thankfully my wife and I are and have always been disciplined with our finances so Im just going to call this early retirement at 58.5 years old and look forward to the many new doors that will open for us now.

So its Thursday morning now and instead of heading off to work, Im looking at where I will detect some this morning ... Life is good...:yes:

Cheers

Brian

That is unfortunate, but it seems you have a positive attitude, which is good! IMO, EVERYTHING happens for a reason, even if we might not know, understand or agree with why they happen. Good luck out there Brian!

Cheers

Brian

Sorry to hear this Brian
Take your Severance AND Collect unemployment for as Long as you can.
You paid into it for 24+ years it is due to you. after that runs out.. Then officially retire.

Good Luck !

Sorry to hear, and then glad to hear! Sounds like you are in a good place! I will say a month of severance for 24 years is pretty sad, but heck.... I’m at work and your going detecting! :lol:

Cheers

Brian

Great attitude !!!!! :thumbsup:

You made lemonade out of lemons !!!!

You can start collecting Social Security as young as 62.

My wife wanted me to retire at 62 and it is so good to be away from the stress of the "time clock" schedule :impatient: :lol:

Nothing sadder than someone who works until the day they die. You're lucky, because now you'll have at least 25 years of retirement to enjoy life to the fullest. Hard to be bitter about that!

Faced a similar situation a few years back. Kept telling my wife it was going to happen so take steps to be ready. Sounds like you are in a good position both financially and frame of mind. Enjoy your new found time, wife and life. Good luck both in the field and at home.

Brian , sorry to hear about your lay off. However good luck on your new career, all your life you served someone in one way or another, now its time to serve yourself. This IS your time, spend it as you like. Take time to enjoy life, friends and family. And after a while if you feel the need, take a low stress part-time job for some pocket money. I have been retired for a little over two years and have trouble remembering how I ever had time or a full time job. Good luck, Mark

I know it's shocking at first. But heed this : for every door that closes , another one opens.

I congratulate you...

I will say one Months pay for that many years is just plain cheap...A 'weeks pay per year served' used to be understood as the unwritten norm for polite people...depending of course...

I tell you what, there is NOTHING so sweet as detecting during the middle of the work week hours! You should take a pic of your 'first fired finds' and let us see them! Representing FREEDOM!

Take a few years and get to enjoying being unemployed and detecting hard! You will find another job if you want to... /These will probably be the best years of your Life!..

Sorry to hear about this especially at this time of year!

Something similar happened to me almost 13 years ago and it probably saved my life as I was a heart attack waiting to happen!

Wow man, good luck to you. I live in a whole area where that happened to everyone years ago. Sparrows point Steel mill. Lot's of folks did well after. Just give ya time to find the good stuff.

Retirement is GREAT. The last couple years before I retired I was only working to purchase toys. District Manager could never found anything that was done to his satisfactory so I decided I did not need the aggravation. Are you sure that the New Boss is truly a friend?

Congratulations!!! If you can swing it, and it sounds like you were both very disciplined, you will love it. Be well.

Congrats and condolences at the same time. I know how it feels to be blindsided like that as I was last Spring. Like you, I just decided to hang it up for the most part. Been killing it at the beaches last summer but clearly slowed down for the Winter. Be safe, stay active and keep the brain active.

Cheers

Brian

Sorry to hear about the layoff. Things will work out. We need to go find some stuff at the end of the month.

Last edited:
I think as we get older in the workplace ( for me anyway) you just get to the point where you don't have the time for all the BS. Sucking up to someone younger , who has less experience in the field and has the least amount tenure is not good. Even worse is when they want to tell you "how" to do something when , they themselves have never done it.
Once after dealing with a difficult boss over 6 months , he pulled me into the office to discuss an important issue(sales commission's) we had been trying to iron out. In so many words , he said I wasn't going to be paid and that I actually owed the company some money that they were going to additionally deduct on my next check. THEN HE STARTED LAUGHING AT ME. I flew over his desk and it was on ! Other coworkers came in and pulled me off him. It was not good. Needless to say I was fired but eventually got my $. I felt so good after that , but I was still scared. So liberating ! It was the best thing that happened to me...but I didn't know it at that time...

Age discrimination is alive and well in the workplace. The companies are just smart enough to hide what they're pulling now. My cousin recently celebrated 25 years working at the Home Depot. They even gave him a cake and a party last July! That kindness was short lived, though. Now that he's turned 60, they want to replace him with someone who can "keep up" with the workload. They want to demote him back down to cashier and cut his pay by $3.00 an hour. They're also moving him to a different store, which is 30 miles away from his home. He currently lives 2 miles from his workplace. He has no say in the matter. Don't like it, quit. Not right, but what can he do?

Back
Top Bottom