Blindsided Monday ... more time to detect and enjoy life now

Wow, that you all for all the kind words and support. All is well here and Im making the adjustment slowly but surely. The shock is starting to wear off now and the reality looks amazing. I posted this picture in another thread, but its relevant to this one as Mudd-Puppy had suggested I post my first post fired find... here it is, its a presidential medal ..LOL ... 1968 Benjamin Harrison Shells token .. Went Wednesday middle of day to a local park where I had previously found my first silver and wala..

Again, thank you so much for the kind thoughts and best wishes, I know Im a new guy here but I really feel like part of the family now.

Very Best regards and hope you all have a Merry Christmas

Sincerely

Brian aka Castelberry

Attachments

• 20191205_135600.jpg
    20191205_135600.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 20191205_135619.jpg
    20191205_135619.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 182
Congrats on the positive attitude and being able to happily make it into a retirement.
I would maybe contact an employment lawyer to see if there is any way you could get a better settlement. To lay you off after that long with only a months pay tells me that you owe them no favors, make it a mission to get more from them and enjoy anything you can get out of it.

Sorry to hear you got layed off castleberry but sounds like your gonna be ok. Man I cannot wait for the day, I'm 61 and I am done at 62. Not long.
They came around last year offering senior people packages. But not me even though I qualified. It would have been about one years pay for severance. I would have jumped on it! I guess someone thinks they need me around......

I think as we get older in the workplace ( for me anyway) you just get to the point where you don't have the time for all the BS. Sucking up to someone younger , who has less experience in the field and has the least amount tenure is not good. Even worse is when they want to tell you "how" to do something when , they themselves have never done it.
Once after dealing with a difficult boss over 6 months , he pulled me into the office to discuss an important issue(sales commission's) we had been trying to iron out. In so many words , he said I wasn't going to be paid and that I actually owed the company some money that they were going to additionally deduct on my next check. THEN HE STARTED LAUGHING AT ME. I flew over his desk and it was on ! Other coworkers came in and pulled me off him. It was not good. Needless to say I was fired but eventually got my $. I felt so good after that , but I was still scared. So liberating ! It was the best thing that happened to me...but I didn't know it at that time...

Good for you KOB. Some so called bosses need someone to leap over the desk and get all over them big time.

Age discrimination is alive and well in the workplace. The companies are just smart enough to hide what they're pulling now. My cousin recently celebrated 25 years working at the Home Depot. They even gave him a cake and a party last July! That kindness was short lived, though. Now that he's turned 60, they want to replace him with someone who can "keep up" with the workload. They want to demote him back down to cashier and cut his pay by $3.00 an hour. They're also moving him to a different store, which is 30 miles away from his home. He currently lives 2 miles from his workplace. He has no say in the matter. Don't like it, quit. Not right, but what can he do?

famous corporate tactic is to keep abusing you low key til you quit.

I used to be anti-union, but over the years found that workers need protection from corporate finance guys who just look at stock prices and will always cut workers to keep profits up and of course move all the production to China. That is what was ruining middle class America. Transferring our wealth to China.

You may find yourself traveling further and further from home trying to find new spots. Took me a year or two to run out of spots ( I’m not much for door knocking). Anyway, I needed to keep busy so I drive a school bus in the afternoon and do airport parking on Sundays. When I do get a chance to detect, I think I enjoy it more. Good luck with all the new time on your hands !

Good for you KOB. Some so called bosses need someone to leap over the desk and get all over them big time.
Thanks Maxxkatt. It was something out of a horrible bosses movie ! Not something I would probably do today , but I'm retired to. But in my 30s and feeling bulletproof , my blind fury and rage was just pent-up. After that , I learned to see the jerk off signs easier. It was much easier to just move on knowing that a better door would open.

can`t say enough about where I worked. I have needed a knee replacement for years[, as I hit 65 I let them know I was getting my knee done and then retiring. I worked in a metal shop and could no longer keep up with the younger guys, when I informed them of my plans they worked with me very well and cut back my work load until time for my surgery. I retired the next day when my disability insurance expired. They treated me very well for 28 years and helped me into my retirement. I now love not working and doing what I want. Now trying to learn how to keep out of my wifes sight 24/7. LOL Knee replacement is doing great, wish I would have it years ago.

Enjoy your time, most folks will not be in the same boat as you if they got forced in to early retirement. Sounds like a good age to retire, most times by the time people hit 65 or whatever they want to get out but the body is no longer willing to go along...

You’re too young yet to retire! I also have 24 years with one company (but I’ve worked steadily for 40 years), As a lineman of 57 y.o. I’d like to retire now but I’m afraid of the “Bell curse”, guys that I worked with and retire that drop dead too early!

Wish you the best.

You’re too young yet to retire! I also have 24 years with one company (but I’ve worked steadily for 40 years), As a lineman of 57 y.o. I’d like to retire now but I’m afraid of the “Bell curse”, guys that I worked with and retire that drop dead too early!

Wish you the best.
The flip side is many who work there whole life and retire at 65 or 70 die within 6-24 months. Work your whole life to amass $ for retirement and your to old to enjoy it or die too soon. One thing you NEVER get back is TIME. So many don't realize this. Retire asap is my motto and enjoy life while you can.

You are gonna be just fine Castleberry! Thats an unusual "First Fired Find"!

Looking back, I think its important for a person to get fired at least once in Life...It builds character! Opens doors of greater opportunities! Makes a fellow 'Be Prepared' and live accordingly...Helps a guy think big and live Bold!

"No matter what other people think about me, it wont affect the way I think about myself"!

As you can imagine, I've been fired a lot of times, sometimes it was my own fault, sometimes not...After the initial shock wears off, It has always been a liberating and exciting and upgrade experience!

Being in the position to fire somebody else is hard...I've fired a few people in my day, and even though it was traumatic for them at the time, if they get over it and evaluate, they have gone on to better opportunities than they would have had staying with the Co.......

The last time I had to fire a guy was just this Spring, ....I really liked this guy! he is amazing! Theres nothing the guy couldnt do! He made me a fortune! Up early and at it! Funny as hell! Amazing stories! The customers all loved him! We have been together all our Life! We played on the same little league team in the same position! Wearing the same jersey even! We rode the same Schwinn Typhoon delivering papers! We trapped and skinned muskrats together! We wear the same size pants and shoes! Same glasses prescription! I had to fire the guy though...

He drank on the job, smoked in the Co vehicle, sometimes he would just say 'da hell widdit' and go metal detecting all day long!

So of course I had to let him go...Since we we worked for the same guy, we both quickly got over it and are still friends to this day!...In fact, we went hunting together this very morning!... We were self employed..

Would I give him a reference? It just depends...He likes swinging the F70 in totters for clad and I like working the water with the AtPro for gold ....He likes Coors and I dont mind Miller Lite...:crackup::crackup:.

We share the same Dubble A batterys..its a Badge of Honor to get fired at least once in a Lifetime...

Last edited:
My current goal in life, is to someday have the "golden pen creative writing wit" ability as puppy-mud !

A lofty goal , but sorry Tom , there is only one Mud-puppy allowed per generation . A person has to be born with it .
Your designated fate in life is to find gold and be the legal spokesman for the multitude of detectorists seeking information on the laws and morals pertaining to detecting .
Some would argue maybe you should stick to just finding gold .:laughing:
Not a bad blessing being one of the best gold coin finding detectorists and Streetsweepers on the planet .:yes:

My current goal in life, is to someday have the "golden pen creative writing wit" ability as puppy-mud !

In my defense Tom, before his firing, I admonished him numerous times over the past 60 years!..."Listen, you know I love you, but you gotta straighten up and fly right" " Get your CRM and Linkdin updated and fill out the TPS reports!"

Last edited:
Uh. Congratulations?!?! I'm glad you are in position to handle this well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mud you are lucky. I have had to fire George on numerous occasions. He will take off ang go detecting leaving yard work to be done etc. Undependable as they come. I have onlyu have had to fire one other person. Corporate hired her to be my assistant running a trucking terminal. I tried my best to teach her how to do her job. Her 90 day review was not positive but the President of the Company at my suggestion decided to give her a little more time. One day I had to be out of the office and she again failed to follow instructions and cost the company a bit of money. I wrote up a disciplinary report and warned her that future failure to follow instructions Could result in Termination. She hit the ceiling and said I am not signing that. I told her that regardless of whether she signed it or not it was going into her record. She said "You Cant Fire Me!" I said What? She repeated You Cant Fire Me!!!!!! I said not only can I fire you I will. You Are Fired. The owner of the company asked me George why did you put up with her for so long.

Back
Top Bottom