Mass. DCR

drb

I'm looking to find out information about MD'ing in the parks and conservation lands that make up the Mass. Dept. of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). My first attempt was to contact the DCR and asked them what the rules are for using a metal detector (if some places are ok and others not?) The answer I got was one quick sentence "We don't allow digging, so therefore we don't allow metal detectors". I have a feeling that the person answering didn't want to be bothered with the question and fired off the response.

The only reason that I question the response, is that I have seen posts from people meeting up to detect within the DCR. Is this because they don't know the rules? Know but don't abide by them? Or (hopefully), it's ok in some areas?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Dan

I'd be interested in responses to this question too, Dan.
Wish I could help but I'm still too new (& shy & afraid to be told
'no' lol)

edited to add, the only reference to metal detecting I could find
on mass.gov was a reference to MDing being prohibited inside the
Quabbin watershed specifically (which is painful considering the 5
evacuated towns they demolished to build the reservoir in the 1930s -
it's awesome hiking in the Quabbin, a bit eerie)

As for MDing other DCR sites in MA, I do not see any info so I'd love to
learn what other folks might know.

I work in Tewksbury, so today at lunch I decided to go see what was in the neighborhood for hunting and came upon a place called T.H.E. Farm, that has several old abandoned building...along with signs saying "State Property Keep Out". I noticed a utility garage with some people working so I asked them what the deal was with being able to MD around the old buildings...Apparently it's part of the old Tewksbury Hospital / Mental Facility, and they don't want anyone digging around for fear of what may be found...One could only wonder what techniques were used at a state run funny farm from the 1800's????

OK lets give this one a try. 1st I don't advocate breaking the law! But some times ignorence is the best policy. (Never ask the state anything) I go to the person in charge of the area I wish to hunt and get their blessing, and name. Do not make a spectacle of your self, do not bother anyone, stay away from historicle sites, DON"T LEAVE A MESS! I have never had an issue. Again get permission and you will never have a problem, don't get permission and you could be at risk of loosing your equipment and even your car. And you blemish us all. Cladius.

No where did I mention breaking the law, nor do I hunt without obtaining permission first where it is required. In both cases (1. asking the state, which I was hoping to get in touch with someone who may have had valuable info, and 2. asking a person on the grounds of the property), both resulted in a no response. I was looking for feedback on what other peoples experiences have been in hunting on state owned / operated areas...not an ethical lecture on what I could loose for myself and others by being careless.

drb I wasn't lecturing anyone just trying to inform. You implied some might be knowingly breaking the rules I have relayed what has worked for me and cautioned on the potential penalties should someone choose to ignore them. Good luck with your hunting. Cladius.

Cladius - No problem. I do appreciate your info on what works for you...I just read your posting as it was coming across with a negative tone to it (one of the problems associated with postings and the written word). Happy hunting and thanks for the clairification - drb

No prob drb I have a pretty thick skin (and head) the point I think I was trying to make is to stay as local with permissions as you can. I have been in contact with the state and it hasn't been positive. On the other hand the local people I've delt with have been outstanding giving permissions and even hunting hints. Like one head fire marshal said - "as long as you don't come in with a backhoe have a ball" I love that kind of talk! Boston don't need to know everyones biz. They have their hands full with falling tunnels and such. Feel free to pm me for advice/ help. Cladius.

Back
Top Bottom