What to do if your detector is broke?

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Three years ago I got to a lake with a friend and got ready to dive only to find out that my detector somehow died for no aparent reason. Well I drove over an hour and a half to this lake and I wasn't very happy. My friend thought we should just drive back. Well that was also not a good option.

I told him to go ahead and detect ( a wader) and I would just dive around and see what there was to find. Well the trip was worth it to me because without a detector, I was just able to see things on the bottom and enjoy the quietness.

I was able to find two boat anchors, a clay bottle and one of my all time favorite relics. Laying in muck, I came across this beautiful brass oil headlight from either a buggy or an early car. It was made in Detroit and the company went out of business in 1915.

I still have never cleaned it up and it sits on my entertainment center in my living room. One of the very best things about diving is ANYYHING that was dropped off a boat way back when is still down there and waiting for a treasure hunter to stumble across it.

Cool find, but I wouldn't be that lucky, I usually have a spare detector with me. I would have been swinging and missed those nice finds.

Nice lamp.:yes:

Here's a cheapo method me and my brother used when we only had one detector and really had the fever - works best/only if you are in an area where you can fan, or you happen to have 2 scoops.

You let the detector guy pinpoint a target - he gives that one to you to recover.

Then he continues on to find the next target.

When you recover yours - swim/walk back to the detector guy.

Works also if you have a pinpointer, cuz you know the target is somewhere there. lol.

Found 2 plat in one day using that cheapo method :D:yes::grin:

Nice

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!owFCp4FZqoWBQ)38cO+tQ~~60_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqZ,!owFCp4FZqoWBQ)38cO+tQ~~60_35.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 396
Very cool eyeball find!!

I agree, you don't have to have a detector to find some really cool stuff at the bottom of a lake..

I have found all sorts of old bottles and such just using a mask, but nothing as cool as your lamp for sure...

<*)))>{

That is a kool find. and away to make use of time lost.

I was out on a boat a few years ago, had my CZ20, with 2 other hunters. A virgin beach, had got 5 rings already..my batteries died about 2 hours into the hunt. I had to head back to the boat and watch the others dig treasure for 2 more hours. It was a night raid so nothing to do but wait it out. Lesson Learned.

I work a lot so when I get the time off I always take a backup detector. I have never needed it but I was a Boy Scout so I want
To always be prepared. So make your favorite metal detector dealer happy and get a spare!!! HH phil

Ive seen that some where before. what about your civilwar bayonet?

LOL, Ok Kevin. He is refering to another time I had a detector problem and we went into a lake that has a muck bottom. I was diving of course and moving my hands around in the muck. And just relaxing looking for old bottles. So what did I hit and bring up? A post civil war or a Spanish American war Springfield bayonet.

LOL, he was a little green with envy. It sometimes is fun not to have a detector in the way of finding interesting things.

Back
Top Bottom