Need some advice

laxmaster92

Hi everyone.
I live in New York in an area which is not very rural and now many places to search( no fields, farms, old churches) There are schools , big parks, and beaches.

Before I buy a metal detector Im wondering if it is worthwile for me. Im going to NH on Wednesday so I want to get one before I go so I can do some searching up there.

Im thinking about getting an Ace 250. IS that a good entry level detector? IS it easy to use? Can it find old coins, gold and silver?

I know I asked a lot of stuff there but any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Hi and welcome to the forum, I also live in New York, way up north in a very rural area close to the Canadian border. The Ace 250 is a very good machine,great features,easy to use,once you get the pinpointing down it will be very hard to beat for the money. The White's Prizm II is also a very good detector alot easier to pinpoint with in my opinion. Steve.

You maight try borrowing one from a friend or renting one for the weekend to see if the hobby is for you.... just a thought. WELCOME ABOARD!!!!.....:)

HH as always,

Bri-

Thanks for the replies. I thought about renting one but I dont know where to find one for rent. ANd none of my friends have one :(

Everyone says the Ace250 are real good. If there is a Radio Shack near you see if they have any Discovery 3300s on clearance. I bought one for $112 and am very pleased with it. If they dont i would buy the Ace

The answer to all your questions is YES. Provided you invest a little time learning and practicing with the machine. No machine will "find" anything of its own accord. That said, yes you can find "stuff" on your first outing.

I wouldn't waste money on renting one. It would probably cost you more than buying, then selling one if you (GOD forbid), decide it's not for you. In this respect, I would definitely go with the 250.

Welcome!
Kevin

I use an Ace 250 and a White's Coinmaster...they're both good detectors...the 250 has a little more depth on coins , and I prefer the Coinmaster for relic hunting ..my brother bought the Ace 150 model for $120 and I've used his on a couple of occasions when we'd trade off...it's also very good on coins and will get about 6 in. deep on a penny...the 150 has no pinpointing feature, but once you determine the coil's " hot spot " , I've found that you don't need that feature with it...as for finding gold & silver, that's a tough job with ANY detector these days and depends mainly on perseverance, luck, and access to sites where they are most likely to be found...using a detector before you buy it is an excellent idea and can save a lot of regret later on..borrowing one from a friend , even better wih their supervision, is ideal...as MXT said, renting can be expensive and also it's difficult to get a real feel for most detectors in one or two outtings...the Coinmaster was love at first search, but I hated my 250 the first week or two , until I learned it's language..it's now my weapon of choice ! Good luck & HH Roadrunner_426

laxmaster92 said:
Hi everyone.
I live in New York in an area which is not very rural and now many places to search( no fields, farms, old churches) There are schools , big parks, and beaches.

Before I buy a metal detector Im wondering if it is worthwile for me. Im going to NH on Wednesday so I want to get one before I go so I can do some searching up there.

Im thinking about getting an Ace 250. IS that a good entry level detector? IS it easy to use? Can it find old coins, gold and silver?

I know I asked a lot of stuff there but any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Hi Laxmaster92  !   :grin:

I started out with the Ace 250 as my first detector last December and am still happy with it.

One thing that continually amazes me about the Ace, is it's ability to locate tiny metal objects !
I've dug down 6-7 inches and recovered bits of aluminum foil no bigger than 1/8" square, pieces of wire as small as 1/16" dia. x
1"lg., etc., so it shouldn't have any trouble locating tiny gold nuggets. This machine is very sensitive !

Todd   

There is a fairly recent book entitled "The Urban Treasure Hunter". The author lives in NYC area, and goes into depth on locations and types of hunting for the area. It will be the best $15 - $20 you will spend outside of the detector itself.

Well I won't say I feel bad for you because you live in an area that makes my mouth water, but you will be more limited in your hunting than me. :D I guess you could call it a trade-off.

I've never hunted in NY but I would think you're going to be asking permission to do most of your hunting. In my case here in southwest Kansas I have many locations to hunt that need no permission, but I could never hope to find the old stuff as your opportunity provides.

Welcome and I hear the ACE250 is a great detector. Now lets see those pictures.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. Im going to go with the 250. Now I just have to find one before I go to NH on Wednesday.

I've had my Ace 250 for a little over a year and am very happy with it.

While you're waiting for your detector, go to the Garrett website, read the manual, and most important of all watch the visual on how to pinpoint with the Ace.

I just purchased my ACE250 about 6 weeks ago and found gold the first time out. (Beach/Dry Sand). Your gonna love it!

I recommend you start in All Metal and dig everything, it's the only wat to learn.

(Remember to fill those holes)

Im going to check out 2v stores later . Dicks sporting goods and sports authority. THey have the 250 on their websites but i dont know if they have them in store.

WThesing said:
There is a fairly recent book entitled "The Urban Treasure Hunter". The author lives in NYC area, and goes into depth on locations and types of hunting for the area. It will be the best $15 - $20 you will spend outside of the detector itself.

Laxmaster92.............I agree with Bill/WThesing that "The Urban Treasure Hunter" is a great book ! I purchased my
                               copy from amazon.com for $16.31 total (including S&H) and
                               received it in three days !

For me, chapter 13  "Cashing In" (your finds) was particularly interesting and informative.
                               That chapter alone was worth the price, as it tells all you need to know to turn valuable
                               finds into cash !

HH !!!.........Todd

Back
Top Bottom