Ace250: Lost signals?

T4CodyBear

I have improved quite a bit in the last 2 months of learning my 250 but trying to understand a couple of things that continually happen. Just some background info; I hunt for old coins, relics etc.... in old 18th & 19th century homesteads & farm fields etc. I am new to MD and use an Ace 250 with 6x9 factory coil and do not use a pro pointer.

1. Sometimes when keeping settings on Relics & Discrim higher- 3 notches from full, I dig and find nothing at all, it seems like just the dirt giving off the signal? would it be from iron or something that has completely disinigrated, because sometimes the dirt is dark reddish?

2. Sometimes I set my settings to Coin & Discrim lower at 4 notches from full in hopes of being more selective. I do dig shotgun brass casings and a lot of square nails which is fine because its a confidence booster knowing the ace is working but then I dig a few holes that when I lift the plug I have no signal? Its like when I opened it up to the air it just killed the signal?? My thinking is that based on these settings that when I get a signal it should be a strong signal and a good target but I cant find anything, and after digging to China I fill it in and move on... but thinking I am missing something or left a nice coin behind?????

I appreciate the feed back or any setting advice someone may have, thanks!

Sorry, I cant help you, but will be watching as I have the same problems, only I run mostly in coin and jewelry, a lot of one way targets that move around...frustrating..

Yes, a completely eroded object will give a signal, someone got there just a little to late, as for the disappearing objects I have done it a few times ,not much, I like to come at it from different angles before I dig and that seems to help most times. another thing I find is that objects near or on to of the ground maybe just under the grass will get it jumping up and down in depth and it can be frustrating. BB's can drive one crazy lol

My suggestion is run full sens and in all metal
mode. The reason for this is it has a slower recovery speed, meaning once it hits a target it stays locked on that target for about 1-2 seconds. In that time with a normal swing you will be about 1 foot away before it clears to pick up another target. Now if you disc out a pull tab and its 4 inches away from a silver dime and it hits the tab first, you will miss the dime completely. Watch your notched out targets, they still light up under those when you hit them they just don't sound off. Running this way when I do get a trash target, I move the coil away for a second, then hit the target from the other direction. PS get a pin pointer, it will make it much more enjoyable and faster recoveries

The ace 250 is a great machine and I still have mine. I think I'll get the 11DD coil to get a little more depth. With its low freq. it is a coin and silver magnet. I have many finds including gold and silver and about 300.00 in clad in two years with it.
PS the two 14k rings I found with it, one rang up as foil and the other a notch above pull tab. With gold you just never know.

Thanks Scout23 & everyone else for the good insight into this........ I was also thinking about the 11DD coil and a pin pointer, I thought all metal at full sen would bring up to much junk but I def feel like I could be missing cool finds.

The area where I found my one and only 1798 LC has been the only coin there so far?? but I have found 3 buttons there also and I keep thinking there had got to be more coins ? dont you think??

I've only had my detector a few short weeks and I've notice the exact issue your describing. I've hit targets that beep several times which are supposed to be shallow 2+ inches but after I cut a plug ... signal is lost. Even if I fine tune my pinpointer I cannot find the signal again . I've also noticed strange behavoir of pinpointing with the Ace 250. But because this isn't an everyday occurrence I've just overlooked these strange anomalies. :?:

same problem

thank for posting this as I have the same problem...it makes me think the detector is broken only I know that's not the case. what I hate is when it will beeb an a target and then as you go over the area again it doesn't beeb. did it loose the target or was it never there? was it just a false signal?

I would think for how spendy they are it would do better? And, yes to me paying $200+ is spendy when I could use a $50 detector and get the same results.

But, I know it is just a matter of learning the detector over time.

I have an Ace 250 also and still consider myself a newbie. But one thing I have realized since getting my pro pointer is that the ace 250 will pinpoint almost 5 inches away sometimes if your not the best at pinpointing. I have now mastered the pinpointing on my 250(which is not easy to learn) and I do not have those lost signal problems nearly as much anymore. I would suggest doing a full scan of the hole after you pull the plug from at least 4 different angles. Sometimes I get the signal one way but not another. The pro pointer would help you out a lot too! Just some suggestions from another newbie Ace 250 owner... but I hope it helped!

Thanks everyone for the input, at least I know its not just me.... I think there is a lot of useful suggestions regarding settings etc... but the link from Mozhoven was pretty dead on and is exactly what I was referring to earlier. The soil looks like "rusted dirt" in areas and you can tell there was something there that completely corroded away .... but it keeps you digging and digging!!!
Thanks guys I will use the all the info and be more patient. HH

Back
Top Bottom