Etrac and nickels

HiddenIndian69

Hi well I'm learning about my machine I think I'm getting it down got a lot of clad quarters dimes penny's
Silver quarters only so far No nickels at all ever
I want a Buffalo so bad need help what to look for on screen and most important what to hear in head phones
I have my pattern open to 12/12 12/20-36
I know I'm hunting in an area that should have clad and older I'm stumped

Bear

If you get a 12-13 it is almost guaranteed to be a modern nickel. Not sure how the buffs read but I would suspect the same.

dig a buff last weekend, rang up a solid 12-12 at about 5 inches

Yeah thee reg nick's ring up at 12-13 for sure....thats all i have dug on nick's but they are not as common as the other coins due to the coin ratio.....but i will take what i can find....iag....:cool:

I got a buff and two V's last week. All ring up pretty consistently at 13. I've had some that bounce from 12 to 13. Silver war nickels will bounce a little higher 12-14 12-15. I don't dig anything higher than that between 15 and 30. Too much junk.

Hi Bear,

Buffs almost always come in with a 14 Co number. I say almost, but I have had them range from 10 to 17 Co number.

Usually there are just a few other junk targets that you'll dig chasing nickels.

First and foremost are the beavertails.
Second are some pop tabs and wads of foil
In older areas an old rusted bottlecap (used in early 1900's) will sound like a nickel (almost always the Fe number will be in the 20's though) then when you listen at 90º, your Fe will jump up 01 or so.

Shotgun headstamps will also come in like a nickel, but pretty rare and .22 casings will also come in like a nickel from time to time.

This has been my experience anyway. You'll need to chase some of those 10-14 Co numbers and I'll bet your Buff will show up.

Nickels are nice in Conductive sounds, because they don't false, like iron does in the silver range.

Hope you get one soon.

NebTrac

when I got my E-trac back in Feb. I was using the stock coin program with Goes4ever's settings...silver, rings, clad...everything except nickels. had some issues with iron in a few spots and started using TTF with the semi open relic screen...since then the E-trac has been a nickel magnet, 1 shield, 3 V's, and 9 buffalo's. it may just be the fact that in stock coin mode with multi tone conductive I was always listening for the high tones and would ignore the lower tones.
and around here the V nickels come in at 11-11,12 to 12-11,12,13 and the buffalo's are 11-11,12 to 12-13,14 most clad nickels come in at 12-12,13 same as a beavertail pull around here.

You probably haven't swung over any nickels yet. I get into streaks where I find mostly dimes, nickels, etc on a given day. Also consider your swing speed and make sure you have that under control. To me the nickels audio sounds like a cow moo.

Nickels have a different sound to them. If you really want to dig older nickels, then dig all low tones that cross over the 12/13 range at least a couple of times out of several swings across the target. I have had deep 8+ inches buffalos and V nickels bounce all over. Rarely do they ever give me a nice solid 12/13 12/14. I dug one two days ago that rang in at 9/13 then 12/05 then just all over the boards. Its the sound I was chasing more than the numbers. I just used the numbers to watch for an occasional 10/11 or 10/10. If I can get the numbers to come close together like that with the sound I'm listening for, then I dig it.

Spend a good solid day digging that range and you will find some. Yes, tons and tons of trash in that range, but still a fun day when you find some oldies. :)

G2M

I do it by the sounds and confirm with the numbers. Every once in awhile either a tab or casing will sound exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom