Return to Iron Beach-sterling #18, silvers #105-#108...

Captain Silver

Elite Member
Got up early today with the morning free for a hunt. I was going to get out in the water for the morning low with the Excal Sword...but right before I left the house it began to rain:roll: I saw that it would clear up by mid morning so I went back to bed for a couple more hours...by 10 the sun had come out but the tide was coming in so I grabbed the scoop, the Explorer II and for the first time in a long time...went over to Iron Beach to work the slope low and slow in search of silver
Tide finally came up and ran me off after a couple and a half hours...these were all the finds only 37 cents in clad, scrap and more scrap, half a dozen wheats...sterling #18 was a bucket lister, a vintage ladies silver hat pin that thankfully I didn't destroy while digging these are silvers #105 to #108... 3 Mercs and a Barber Quarter the Barber is career silver #1199... I must have learned something hunting Nail Park the last few weeks...what stood out today was the high tone 'tic' a deep silver gives off when it's hiding in the almost constant null of a beach polluted with iron. The Barber Quarter was ridiculously deep, I was down 14-15 inches and about to give up on it but pulled the pinpointer from the backpack...it barely buzzed at the bottom of the hole, I scooped a couple more inches and was almost on it, louder now... another bite and it was finally out. I stuck the scoop handle first in the hole and scratched a line on it with a rock...it measured at 19" deep:yes: Well, that's all for now, it wasn't the hunt I had planned but a damn good morning anyway. Thanks for looking, see you after the next outing...and Happy Hunting to all!

Wow! Great hunt! Congrats on that foot and a half deep silver and bucketlister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killing that silver captain!!! Like the 1900!!

You and the minelab have become jedi master.:yes:

A couple years running several models of Sovereigns and Excals for all my dirt, beach and water hunting really taught me a lot about hunting by sound...and thru and around threshold nulls...and not using a pinpoint button to locate, narrow in on and recover targets in trashy parks or iron pits/beaches. Use pinpoint and many times it will home in on the co-located junk target, usually iron...and after several tries and failure to find the conductive target, most will think it's a iron false and move on. The switch from BBS to FBS early last November took less than one hunt to grasp the basics and bag the first silver with the Explorer II, but I still have more to learn...I've never hunted with the ferrous/conductive numbers, only the target trace cursor as a second opinion on a dig/no dig target. Master...not yet, but a student striving to be best in class:yes:

Cool hat pin! My mum collects those (I have no idea why). If I managed to find one for her she'd be over the moon! :lol:

nice silver Bruce. Let me know when your next hunt is and i will join you. Only one gold bracelet on my last time out.

Back
Top Bottom