Got seated next to a busy road

Toasted

Elite Member
Hunted a little trashy park that has never produced much in the few tries Ive had there. Clad, a few wheats and one modern silver is it. This time a deep wheat turned out to actually be a 1887 Seated dime:shock: I dont think any of the houses around the park are even that old. Silver is where you find it

Attachments

• IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 496
Here she is cleaned up a little. The head detail is always the first to go on the seated dimes

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 494
Beautiful coin Toasted!
I think a lot of detectorists,just because some tend to be solitary by nature,avoid a busy road or places that contain a lot of "lookers-on". In my mind,the places people would leave alone might be some of the best to check out...as long as YOU don't mind being "checked out".
It certainly looks like it worked this time!:grin:

That dime cleaned up nicely, and that's exactly the point where I would stop cleaning it, with the patina intact. I've seen some try to polish these to a high shine which I think is a mistake. Congrats on the good find!

Beautiful coin Toasted!
I think a lot of detectorists,just because some tend to be solitary by nature,avoid a busy road or places that contain a lot of "lookers-on". In my mind,the places people would leave alone might be some of the best to check out...as long as YOU don't mind being "checked out".
It certainly looks like it worked this time!:grin:
Trust me. I hate hunting in busy areas but sometimes its the only option. I waited till it was almost completely dark and nabbed this one within feet of speeding cars
That dime cleaned up nicely, and that's exactly the point where I would stop cleaning it, with the patina intact. I've seen some try to polish these to a high shine which I think is a mistake. Congrats on the good find!

I have gone too far in the past with cleaning old silver but nowadays I think less is more

Nice find..I got a question.I see you got a deus..I do to..and I've run every program from here to Nebraska,and the Id on this deus isn't good enough to tell a wheat from a modern penny,or even a silver from a penny.My ground is pretty good too,and anything past 4 inches it's a tone machine here.How could you call a wheats at depth?im really curious here,cause maybe I'm missing somthing.

Nice find..I got a question.I see you got a deus..I do to..and I've run every program from here to Nebraska,and the Id on this deus isn't good enough to tell a wheat from a modern penny,or even a silver from a penny.My ground is pretty good too,and anything past 4 inches it's a tone machine here.How could you call a wheats at depth?im really curious here,cause maybe I'm missing somthing.

Wood butcher I can tell the difference between a wheat, modern penny and clad Dime 90+% of time on my Deus. Probably 99% accurate on calling a wheat in my soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Deus is a tone machine on anything beyond 7" or so for me. The dime was right around that depth so when I saw copper penny clad dime numbers but too deep too likely be modern, then I assumed wheat penny with a little possible up averaging on the id that the deus is known for on deep targets. Instead it turned out to be a pretty accurrate id as seated dimes usually id in the copper memorial clad dime range. Wheat pennies usually id just a bit lower than copper memorials.

Wood butcher I can tell the difference between a wheat, modern penny and clad Dime 90+% of time on my Deus. Probably 99% accurate on calling a wheat in my soil.

In 18khz(id norm on) wheat penny 87-89 copper memorial 89-91 clad dime 91-92. The deeper the target, the less reliable these numbers are. Ive had silver dimes hit as low as 89-90 and as high as 93-94. Really deep coins will id as high as 97-98 or no numbers at all. If I get a really tight deep squeeker that gives a 90 or higher, I get excited. Could be a wheat or could be a seated

In 18khz(id norm on) wheat penny 87-89 copper memorial 89-91 clad dime 91-92. The deeper the target, the less reliable these numbers are. Ive had silver dimes hit as low as 89-90 and as high as 93-94. Really deep coins will id as high as 97-98 or no numbers at all

Yep, I found a couple Barbers where I only had a tone and no vid. Probably 8+ inches.

Very neat old coin! Congrats.

One thing that I think about is how older coins get into newer areas. Like the morgan I found, made no sense being where it was. Then again, on average how old are the coins we carry today? 30 years, 50 years in some cases mixed in with the new ones, and we don't think a thing about it, so I suppose back in the day people probably felt the same and didn't treat older coins any differently.

Very neat old coin! Congrats.

One thing that I think about is how older coins get into newer areas. Like the morgan I found, made no sense being where it was. Then again, on average how old are the coins we carry today? 30 years, 50 years in some cases mixed in with the new ones, and we don't think a thing about it, so I suppose back in the day people probably felt the same and didn't treat older coins any differently.

Lots of worn Barbers found on newer sites but very few seated and this one looks to have been in circulation for a short time. My 1877 map did end up showing a few structures in the area so probably associated with them.

Before coin collecting became popular, coins would circulate for 50-100 years.
So, yes, avoiding '20s sites is avoiding seated, I found a 1887 seated dime 2.5" deep in a 1920s park, back in late '70s.

Hunted a little trashy park that has never produced much in the few tries Ive had there. Clad, a few wheats and one modern silver is it. This time a deep wheat turned out to actually be a 1887 Seated dime:shock: I dont think any of the houses around the park are even that old. Silver is where you find it

Back
Top Bottom