One of my best finds ever and I broke it :-(

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
The wife and I decided to take one of our daughters out on the river yesterday so we loaded up the kayaks and out we went. The river we were on is surrounded by historical areas with military history dating to the 1600s. I told the wife I was going to find a musket and she ignored me as usual.

On a prior trip out with my excal, I found broken bottles and pottery sticking out of the river bank so I knew the field over the bank had to have a homestead somewhere. My brother detected it and found a fugio cent a couple months ago so I decided to focus on that general area again. As we were headed back to the launch, I spotted some rusty looking metal sticking out of some tree roots. I knew right away when I saw the base of it that I had found a bayonet. I couldn't believe it when I pulled it from the bank.

Unfortunately the base snapped off which im still ticked off about. I believe this bayonet pre dates the revolutionary war based on measurements. (See chart) I can't wait to go back once the water level drops. I believe I located an area where people used to ford the river.
5428ffc6e23f109628cc83f4e71ac28d.jpg
7324621de2f9c778907e1ed4de91721d.jpg
2899754f7d3116ee6bf4260988dad18d.jpg
20170625_184902.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oh dang! Still a great find though. Sometimes things just get too toasted to handle. That looks like a potentially fantastic site too :yes:

Nice find. It looks like it could crumble if you handle it to much. Can you even clean something like that? I would be scared to touch it.

Nice find. It looks like it could crumble if you handle it to much. Can you even clean something like that? I would be scared to touch it.
That's the problem. The iron is so badly corroded that im afraid to do electrolysis on it.

Something like that I would want to talk to one of the museum restoration expert type professionals. I've seen to many antique road shows were something was damaged from improper cleaning.

Lol

:laughing: The way you go through equipment bro., what makes you think you can man handle delicate artifact's :?::laughing:, just kidding bro., sorry to see that, Earl

I wonder how many people got stabbed with that. I think I read some place on rusted items like that, you can spray it with varnish to stop the rust. I don't know for sure about that either..
It is a great find.

KEN :D

In my opinion that thing is a Leverite there :yes:

My boot pistol is way better than that thing :D

Live and learn. Next time you won't break it, right?

Well, you found one there, so I'm thinking that it is very possible that there could be more, I mean, soldiers kind of group together.

"Metal detecting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get."--Crackerjack Gump ;)

In my opinion that thing is a Leverite there :yes:

My boot pistol is way better than that thing :D
Son of a.....[emoji15]

Gonna do a river hunt behind the girls school this weekend. They bought a restaurant that used to be a Grist mill from 1640!

Almost as old as me! Nice find, Amazing it's in the shape it's in!! , who is the new guy "Cfmct"?

Back
Top Bottom