Honey Hole in Greensboro Still Not Done Searching

DigginDemOldCoi

When you are new to a hobby there is nothing like a good confidence boost to keep you interested. I asked for permission to search an old industrial site (from the late 1800's) after talking to a lady that said she had seen people detecting over around the main building (even though it says no trespassing). Then I ran into a guy walking his dog over there that knew the front of the building used to be a picnic area for employees. Long story short, even after being given permission, I wondered if I was actually going to find anything left after all the years of detectorists over there? So, after biting the bullet and going I've already pulled 64 coins - ((26 Wheaties (2x1910) , 5 silvers, the rest clad) and I'm only about 1/3 way done. I even found a British 1/2 Penny from the 1940's. I'm guessing that the reason there is so much stuff left is because the soil is very mineralized over there and I had to adjust my iron bias a couple of times to actually start hitting targets. The two things I got from this is: 1. Never be afraid to ask for permission 2. Don't doubt your abilities. Go into each situation like you might be the only one that ever found anything. All that said, I am thankful for people in our hobby who make videos to help us both understand our equipment, and show us the sky is the limit. Thanks Gigmaster, Dig that Beep, and Hoover Boys :) among others for that guidance and encouragement. Peace out. :p:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0086vs1resizes.jpg
    IMG_0086vs1resizes.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
When I was new to the hobby, and had a bounty hunter, I stopped and talked to a guy that was hunting a curb strip. He had a fancy Whites Spectra V3I. The curb he was hunting was small and he had just finished hunting it. We talked for a bit, mostly about how awsome his Spectra was, and then he left. I busted out my cheesy bounty hunter and gave that curb strip a swing. Granted, I didn't find much, but I did pull a very nice wheat penny that he missed with his fancy machine. This taught me very early on, a site may be previously hunted, but that doesn't mean it was gutted.

When you are new to a hobby there is nothing like a good confidence boost to keep you interested. I asked for permission to search an old industrial site (from the late 1800's) after talking to a lady that said she had seen people detecting over around the main building (even though it says no trespassing). Then I ran into a guy walking his dog over there that knew the front of the building used to be a picnic area for employees. Long story short, even after being given permission, I wondered if I was actually going to find anything left after all the years of detectorists over there? So, after biting the bullet and going I've already pulled 64 coins - ((26 Wheaties (2x1910) , 5 silvers, the rest clad) and I'm only about 1/3 way done. I even found a British 1/2 Penny from the 1940's. I'm guessing that the reason there is so much stuff left is because the soil is very mineralized over there and I had to adjust my iron bias a couple of times to actually start hitting targets. The two things I got from this is: 1. Never be afraid to ask for permission 2. Don't doubt your abilities. Go into each situation like you might be the only one that ever found anything. All that said, I am thankful for people in our hobby who make videos to help us both understand our equipment, and show us the sky is the limit. Thanks Gigmaster, Dig that Beep, and Hoover Boys :) among others for that guidance and encouragement. Peace out. :p:cool:

Congrats on a neat assortment of nice finds ! :thumbsup:

I agree, while I might not have found a lot and the coin finds are old clad, I'm sure many, if not all, of the places I've hunted so far likely were detected in the past, but they obviously did not find everything back then as I can tell by how the coins looked that I found they were definitely not fresh drops :lol:

......and thanks to the helpful people on this forum, learning from their experiences sure helps to shorten the learning curve for us who are still fine-tuning our hunting skills !

When I was new to the hobby, and had a bounty hunter, I stopped and talked to a guy that was hunting a curb strip. He had a fancy Whites Spectra V3I. The curb he was hunting was small and he had just finished hunting it. We talked for a bit, mostly about how awsome his Spectra was, and then he left. I busted out my cheesy bounty hunter and gave that curb strip a swing. Granted, I didn't find much, but I did pull a very nice wheat penny that he missed with his fancy machine. This taught me very early on, a site may be previously hunted, but that doesn't mean it was gutted.

......hey, even places we ourselves hunt we likely don't find everything the first hunt, I keep amazing myself when I occasionally re-hunt my own already often hunted yard and have even as of my previous yard hunt still found a couple more coins !

I challenge detectorists - the next time you don't have time to go somewhere for a regular hunt - take your detector back out in your own yard for a quick hour hunt and you MIGHT be surprised at what you still might find in your own yard !

I finished up where I was working today and started a new area same building. There I found 25 more coins and I've barely scratched the surface. So as of today I've found 92 coins and I'm certain there are lots more to find. I increased my totals today - 12 more wheats, a buffalo nickel, and 2 more mercs. Just keeps getting better :). Thanks for all the kind words. Later and thanks :)

Well done and good post DDOC.

^^^ I love hearing how those that try with what they have succeed. Never say never.

Very nice hunting grounds there! Don't start thinking you will soon be "done" with this place. Places like that can be gridded many times and still produce good finds. After you have it "cleaned out", :lol:, it will be a good place to challenge yourself. GL & HH!

Digging when you have worked every inch of that property do it all over again. The reason i say that is i worked an old national guard armory. Dug a lot of wheat pennies the first time i covered the property but not even one silver coin. Then later i started working that property again. Had a guy tell me he had dug every coin out of there. I did not have the heart to tell him that my son and i had found 9 silver coins but not even one the first hunt.

This place just keeps on giving. Total now 13 silvers, 73 Wheats, 2 rings. 3 tokens, $6.04 in Clad, and I'm only about 1/3 of the way done. Total coins - 185 coins pulled so far. Craziest thing is that I keep hearing from others that this place has been worked over for years by people with detectors? Interesting. Continuing on.

This place just keeps on giving. Total now 13 silvers, 73 Wheats, 2 rings. 3 tokens, $6.04 in Clad, and I'm only about 1/3 of the way done. Total coins - 185 coins pulled so far.

Craziest thing is that I keep hearing from others that this place has been worked over for years by people with detectors? Interesting. Continuing on.

Neat !!!!

Since you're finding all what you're finding it makes you wonder what those detectorists who hunted it before found.

Keep at it, because obviously if it was detected before then they sure missed a lot of goodies for you to find ! :lol:

Interesting you should say that.

I was talking to a guy in the Dig that Beep group on facebook who lives here in Greensboro and he is one of those people who detected that area. He told me that he had pulled at least 2 gold rings out of there. I've found two rings but one was stainless steel and the other was a junk ring but hey I haven't finished digging all the oddball numbered signal stuff yet so who knows. Oh well, hate to bottom feed but I'll take it. Still pulling random stuff out of there. Right now I'm up to 110 Wheats and 16 silvers. Coolest thing is the tokens I've found. Pulled at least 4 different tokens out of there also. I pulled one Saturday that had a swastika on it. I was like what? LOL It was a Don't Worry Club Token from the 1920's. Interesting for sure. :) I also found a Oklahoma Consumer Tax Token from the 1920's, and a Duke Power Fare Token for the Railcar system (1930's - 40's). Heading back out tomorrow. :) Peace.

Attachments

• Oct 06th 2020 DON'T WORRY CLUB GOOD LUCK SWASTIKA TOKEN pt 1.JPG
    Oct 06th 2020 DON'T WORRY CLUB GOOD LUCK SWASTIKA TOKEN pt 1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Oct 06th 2020 DON'T WORRY CLUB GOOD LUCK SWASTIKA TOKEN pt 2.JPG
    Oct 06th 2020 DON'T WORRY CLUB GOOD LUCK SWASTIKA TOKEN pt 2.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Oct 06th 2020 Oklahoma Sales Tax Token pt 3.JPG
    Oct 06th 2020 Oklahoma Sales Tax Token pt 3.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Oct 06th 2020 Oklahoma Sales Tax Token pt 4.JPG
    Oct 06th 2020 Oklahoma Sales Tax Token pt 4.JPG