coin popper from Ace Hardware

snell

Port Republic, NJ 10 miles NW of Atlantic City
I stopped by the local Ace Hardware with the intention of picking up a cheap screwdriver to grind down into a coin popping tool. I found this weeding tool instead and a few minutes on the grinder to get rid of those nasty points and I'm good to go for a mere $2.65.

Before grinding
DSCF0485.jpg

After grinding

DSCF0486.jpg

one more tool to hump around :lol:

Smart idea.

I never could get the hang of those poppers myself. All my coins come out with nasty scratches.

Smart idea.

I never could get the hang of those poppers myself. All my coins come out with nasty scratches.

It helps to use a pinpointer first to locate the coin before popping then you can poke in the ground along side the coin and pry it up from underneath without scratching it. I just use a flat screwdriver on all coins that are shallow enough to pinpoint from the surface, then I don't have to dig a plug.

I think that I would round the corners a bit so as not to have a sharp point. I have done that on long, thin screwdrivers with good results.

I'll add something to the details here. To prevent coin scratches after the modification, why not coat the business end with Plasti-coat?

And when the coating wears, just re-dip and you are ready to go again.

HH~Unomike :hat3:

Attachments

• 98507.gif
    98507.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 4,658
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 4,604
Does anyone know of a video of one being used? I would really like to see hoe they work, they look like they might come in handy.

Coin Popper Video

Does anyone know of a video of one being used? I would really like to see hoe they work, they look like they might come in handy.

Here's a link to a coin popper video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58e1XNIoKDE I'm not real good at it yet, however I'm getting better. The key is to be exactly on with pinpointing with your machines coil. Hope this helps.

MrJeep

Looks like the guy in the video is basiclly popping out a plug along with the coin. When you get good, you can pretty much just pop out the coin without much dirt.

I always use a coin popper when it is a shallow enough target. I've even managed to get the probe right through the loop of a pulltab, lol.

I bought one of the Garrett Coin Probes, but I'm not thrilled with it. I keep bending it, especially on deeper coins. I need to find a stronger probe. Maybe just a flat tip screwdriver ?

Back
Top Bottom