Real or Fake?

PA_Rob

I have 2 buttons, both of which I found in the same area about 15 yards apart at an old elementary school, which I believe was a farm for over one hundred years up until it was built in the 1930s.

Button number 1: This is a Hessian military button [Possibly] from the revolutionary war. It was found in State College, PA (Central PA), so theoretically there could have been Hessian soldiers around this area at the time of the revolution, though it does seem a bit unlikely. I also know that there were remakes of this button, but the amount of rust and corrosion on the back makes me think that it must be quite old.

Hessian Button.jpg
Hessian Button Back.jpg

Button number 2: This is a "Fifth Royal Irish" button. I did some research and it seems that this battalion may have been in Central PA in the late 1760s, when they came to Philadelphia in 1767, and then made their way to Fort Pitt in what is now present day Pittsburgh, which is West of where I live in Central PA. So, just like the last one, theoretically this COULD have ended up here in the 1700s, but I just find it a bit hard to believe. I also didn't find much about remakes of this button, but that's not to say that there wasn't any. Hopefully I can get some help from you guys (And gals), and HH!

***Sorry for the second picture being blurry

5th Royal Irish Button.jpg
5th Royal Irish Button (2).jpg

-Rob

I also feel they are real. The area I live was settled by Hessian soldiers after the Rev war. And Im only a stone throw away from you!!!:grin:

I'm not an expert on these, but judging by your research, and the facts, I would say there is a large possibility that these are genuine. The corrosion on the back of the first button resembles that of dug Iron/Tin back Civil War buttons I've seen. It takes a while for that amount of rust to build up. Maybe someone else with a but more Rev war expertise will chime in. Super finds either way!!!

I'm FAR from an expert on this kind of thing. But here's my gut feeling based on what I've dug and seen dug. The second one, one it's own, looks good to me. I wouldn't have considered fake as a likelihood on that one. The first one I'm a bit more skeptical of. And since it was found close to the second, that raises questions about both. Soooo... basically I can't help. But perhaps try emailing Don Troiani about them?

Both date well after the Rev War, and there's no question about that. The Irish might be as early as mid. to late 1800s, and the first button probably 1900s. The Irish is a nice find but think the first is more a junk button. I know I've seen similar many times.

I found the "God is our hope" button in Niagara Falls, NY. I brushed it off as a modern day button.

Someone made it into a 2 hole button.

Both date well after the Rev War, and there's no question about that. The Irish might be as early as mid. to late 1800s, and the first button probably 1900s. The Irish is a nice find but think the first is more a junk button. I know I've seen similar many times.

I am glad I didn't bet ;)

Looking again the Irish might also be 1900s because the crown looks to be either King Edward or George V.

Thanks for all of the input! I was scared to hear that everyone thought that they were fake, but it's safe to say that I feel a bit more reassured that they are real now.

I'd trust Iron Patch's opinion for sure. He knows his stuff. If he says they're later, I'd certainly be inclined to agree. Cool buttons either way though!

There is a few small differences between the face on that one, and the face on mine, but the BIG difference is that rather than a loop sticking up on the back, mine has a square sticking up, and there is no concave in the back like there is on that one. I found a good picture of one like mine earlier, but I can't seem to find it now...

Back
Top Bottom