DIY Plug Cutter

Skymeat

I was having a hard time cutting a pretty plug. I wanted something to take all the guesswork out of it - at the expense of weight. Here's what I came up with. I know it's ugly, but the welds do penetrate and it weighs about 2.5 lbs but carries fairly easily. The sharpened edges are only sharpened to the suggestion of an edge...

The test plugs I've taken are on rocky/clay super wet soil. That will be the case till summer at least in my area.

Tools used:
4.5" Grinder with a cutoff and flap disc
MIG welder
Hand drill with 3/8" bit

Materials:
2.5" pipe (sch 40)
3/8" rod
1"x1/8" flat stock
3/4" pipe (sch 40)

IMG_14581.jpg

IMG_14571.jpg

IMG_14561.jpg

IMG_14551.jpg

Last edited:
fairly ingenious I guess, a 6 inch hunting knife works for me. Just seems like a burdensome weight and an attraction for some park worker to say. "What the hell is that?" Good job tho.

Yup - Looks horrendous and I expect it to attract attention in public. The weight seems to be fairly negligible if you hold it by the handle, but I've got a free hand and am fairly young, so carrying it so far isn't so bad. I have yet to use it for any extended period of time though.

This is mostly a proof of concept. With the tools I have and the time I had this is what I got. Now I know that it works... I can have the parts laser cut (I work at a fab shop) and loose about half the weight. I'll do that if it does need to loose weight and this version doesn't satisfy me. But I expect it to be like the difference between a post hole digger with wooden vs fiberglass handles.

All told it's for me by me. That the satisfaction.

Cheers,
Chip

Yup - Looks horrendous and I expect it to attract attention in public. The weight seems to be fairly negligible if you hold it by the handle, but I've got a free hand and am fairly young, so carrying it so far isn't so bad. I have yet to use it for any extended period of time though.

This is mostly a proof of concept. With the tools I have and the time I had this is what I got. Now I know that it works... I can have the parts laser cut (I work at a fab shop) and loose about half the weight. I'll do that if it does need to loose weight and this version doesn't satisfy me. But I expect it to be like the difference between a post hole digger with wooden vs fiberglass handles.

All told it's for me by me. That the satisfaction.

Cheers,
Chip
There used to be a thing on the market similar to that, refine it and patent it amd go for it.
I think it was called hole hog or some such ilk. but the concept is good.

2 person with a 2 stroke engine youd have something their!!! Naw just kiddin!! Nice work!!

Looks like a great design!
Train car heavy, but, for testing and all, looks good...

However, I am VERY worried about your pictures, it looks like your shop is about to be burned down... I might be wrong but if you were welding near that the stuff in the pics... Looks like it btw... Just a thought...

Nice welds also..

Thanks for sharing!!

<*)))>{

There used to be a thing on the market similar to that, refine it and patent it amd go for it.
I think it was called hole hog or some such ilk. but the concept is good.

It was definitely called a Hole Hog. You have a good memory for a guy with "beer" in his name. I still have one, some where in my garage.

I coupled it with an Ott Technologies Periscope and could sink the hole hog down 5-6 inches and pull a dime out of the ground. All assumed that I could break the moisture seal, that there were no rocks or roots (never, ever see those), and that you weren't already worn out from toting this huge lump of iron around all day :)

Anyhow, it was an ok tool in some lawns. But just carefully cutting a plug and putting everything on a canvas or mat was more efficient.

EDIT: http://www.jimmysierra.com/tools_plugpopperC.html That is pretty much a hole hog.

Last edited:
Nice. do you have to give it a twist to cut all the way around the plug? I enjoy welding bits and pieces into something new!

Looks like a great design!
Train car heavy, but, for testing and all, looks good...

However, I am VERY worried about your pictures, it looks like your shop is about to be burned down... I might be wrong but if you were welding near that the stuff in the pics... Looks like it btw... Just a thought...

Nice welds also..

Thanks for sharing!!

<*)))>{

The burns are from where he laid down his smoke while working not from welding!!! But don't worry I saw a few cans of bud light to put a fire out if needed!!:lol::lol:

All kidding aside it looks great! Nice cuts and welds. Looks a bit heavy but I'm sure it will last for ever. Good work!

The burns are from where he laid down his smoke while working not from welding!!! But don't worry I saw a few cans of bud light to put a fire out if needed!!:lol::lol:

All kidding aside it looks great! Nice cuts and welds. Looks a bit heavy but I'm sure it will last for ever. Good work!
milwaukees best, not bud light.

Back
Top Bottom