First go-round with the CTX-3030

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
I expected a lot from this thing that might as well be a space ship compared to my other detectors, and I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I got the battery today in the mail along with the Andy Sabisch book on how to actually understand the machine, and after trying to figure it out by actually reading the manual, and skimming through the book, took it out for a test run.

I had no idea what the display was telling me, and it's hard for me to just read about something then apply it, I do better trying it out then going back and re-reading to see how it applies. Which is what I did with this detector.

At first I was just kind of bumbling around with the thing, and dug up a few pieces of junk. Then I kind of started connecting the dots with what I was seeing and what I read. I quit and went back to re-read some of the how-to stuff, and then it kind of clicked.

After that, I took it out in our yard, or actually the yard next door that we also own, and which I've hammered with all of my other detectors. I've probably put somewhere around 50 hours into that area and never found anything too great but pulled some clad and junk out of it.

Tonight in about 30 minutes time, I found not only some clad, but also what I think is half of a gold plated money clip and a 1964 penny along with some zincolns. (All in areas I've pretty much hammered)

The big thing for me was finding three nickels while just putting around out there playing with this new machine. Nickels have always been difficult for me to find with the F-2 and even with the F-44. So this is pretty encouraging, and I can't wait to take it to my old silver producing sites to see if I can scare up something I missed before.

I threw the change in my change jar, nothing special, but here's the broken money clip... at least that's what I think it is.

picture.php

At any rate I can see this is going to be a fun machine to run!

Now I just need a good recommendation for headphones to use with it, the old cheap ones I have give me a headache (and ear-ache) and are plain uncomfortable. Unfortunately it didn't come with the wireless unit, but I'm not complaining. :grin:

Nice work getting it up, running, and finding!!

Congrats on the new start...

<°)))>{

Congrats on the new machine! I've had the pleasure of watching Cellrdwellr use his and it's amazing. He's pulling stuff from really hard hit areas like your yard. Have fun and good luck! Go back and hit those silver areas and find all those sneaky ones that hid on you the first time. :D

Congrats on the CTX! The FE-CO ID #s take a little time to get the hang of, but once you do I bet you'll love it. It has a well earned reputation for it's accuracy. Until you get familiar with the machine, just loading up either the stock coin pattern or the famous "Trashy Park" pattern should do the trick. Put more weight on the conductive numbers.

You're correct btw.. Picking out nickels with the 3030 is a piece of cake! :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom