Pulltabs @ 10 Inches

The reason why a deep penny will be easier to identify than a deep dime is that the penny is inducing a stronger response field. While it is not as conductive, it has a bigger surface area and thickness. .

In a perfect situation with both coins laying flat, yes... but how much of detecting is prefect situations?

Dimes seem to hit much harder than pennies on all of my machines...so unsure how you came to your conclusopms that the penny will induce a stronger response...

I find more dimes than anything! lol

In a perfect situation with both coins laying flat, yes... but how much of detecting is prefect situations?

Dimes seem to hit much harder than pennies on all of my machines...so unsure how you came to your conclusopms that the penny will induce a stronger response...

I find more dimes than anything! lol

Define "much harder". Do you mean a higher VDI? VDI isn't determined by the strength of the target signal. Coin silver is more conductive than a bronze and brass. Clad coins have an effective conductivity that is higher than bronze or brass. If you look at two targets of the relatively same diameter, thickness and shape, the target with the higher conductivity will have the bigger VDI number.

How can I conclude that a penny will induce a stronger response? Math. If the math said Dimes produce a stronger field, our detector manuals would show that on average you can find a dime deeper than a penny. Can you detect a flat dime deeper than a penny on edge? Sure. However, all conditions the same - same orientation, ground conditions, detector settings, etc, etc - you will be able to pick up the penny at a greater depth than you can the dime. That is what is meant by stronger response.

Let's take this up a notch. A clad quarter and dime, or a barber quarter and dime are made of the same respective alloys. Why is it you can find quarters deeper than you can find the dime? It is because the quarters are wider and thicker than the dimes are. Because of this size difference, the quarter will generate an induced magnetic field that is stronger than than dime at the same depth. A dime the size of a penny would be detectable deeper than a penny. A penny the size of a dime would not detected as deep as the dime would.

A dime at 15" is still going to generate an induced field. However, it is going to be so weak that the receive coil won't even notice it.

I find the science of induced fields and naturally occuring halo effects very interesting subjects. The Etracs use of FBS (full band spectrum) to create and then analyse the return signals is (imo) like adding a third dimension to a two dimensional picture. The Minelab technology was a deciding factor in my choice of detectors. One day I may even learn what it is in this strange science that makes me go out and wave a machine around for hours digging crusty old coins. Maybe its that deeply satisfying feeling when you pop out a shiny silver keeper. It cant just be the coin itself, If it were, you can buy collector grade coins for far less than most detectors and all the gear that goes with it. So it must have something to do with the "thrill of the hunt" or the "unsolved mystery" of what lies in the ground by that old homestead. Regardless, we all love it and cant get enough.
The OP of this thread has created quite an interest in pulltabs at 10 inches. It also has brought together 4 local hunters around Dallas plus a 5th being MrNovice who rolled up on our group hunt today. I now have 2 more new friends. A local worker on lunch break has been in the park at our last 2 hunts and now she is wanting a detector. She watches that Diggers show and knows all the verbage...roundness,nectar etc. I told her about these forums, so welcome Gretchen. Detecting must be contagious.

All detectors working at the same operating frequency will respond to metal the same.

What I mean by all detectors using the same frequency is that the same target will respond the same way, to the same frequency for each of those detectors (assuming also that the current used to generate the transmit field is identical across the board (amplitude, frequency, phase offset). .

OK those are two different statements. i agree with the second, the first must have been a misstatement. No harm no foul.

LOL, I'm not arguing Faraday's law.

Back
Top Bottom