1280X bad coil?

Chief78

I havent used my 1280X in years. finally got my dad to mail it to me this year and it no longer works. It powers up and the battery test works. Ive opened it up and gave the components a visual, but nothing obvious...Any way to Ohm out the coil? If so What should I see for resistance/continuity? Im an Electronics Tech but I have zero documentation or schematics to help me troubleshoot this.

Thank in advance

Have you checked the coil cable from top to bottom for stress fracture or bad spots sometimes you can work your fingers up the cable and pinch as you go to see if you have a bad spot in the wiring just a thought hope you find the problem I just recently aquired a 1280x and hhave not used it much has the 10 inch coil mainly land hunt but sometimes water hunting gives me a change of pace

I havent used my 1280X in years. finally got my dad to mail it to me this year and it no longer works. It powers up and the battery test works. Ive opened it up and gave the components a visual, but nothing obvious...Any way to Ohm out the coil? If so What should I see for resistance/continuity? Im an Electronics Tech but I have zero documentation or schematics to help me troubleshoot this.

Thank in advance

Woww talk about Karma Here I was trying to help you and took my MUsky out and was gonna Play and powered up got the startup beep tried to test a dime and quess what no sound nothin nada grabbed the cable and it beeped a couple times then quit again moved the cable end near the connector and it just goes crazy got to looking and had to put it under a mag glass to see them tiny screws and yep they are stripped out so noow trying to find out if a fellow in MI can fix it for me BUMMER :( again good luck on the 1280x

Check around at geotech forums, http://www.geotech1.com/forums/show...er-1280-schematic-Stuart-PCB´s&highlight=1280 I have one of the original 1280x detectors from the 80s, its built like a tank. I have had the solder joints on the battery leed wires crack from age, solder was getting pretty old, could be somthing of that nature for you if your lucky. Fisher coils for the 1200x series tend to be pretty robust. I have dropped them, banged them etc and never broke one, my guess is you have component issues or a loose wire at the base of the coil strain relief connector, or going in to the control unit after the strain relief connector somewhere. good luck

Thanks for the help guys. My 1280X is from about 1990 I think. I bought it for $175!! from a guy who needed the money...I did have a problem with the wiring in the battery compartment but that was fixed. I will give the cable another look and try what you suggested...really appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom