Troy X5 finds Gold Nugget

scott.f

Elite Member
It seems I was a bit hasty stating I didn't find anything of note while in Vancouver. On Apr. 20th I dug the finds below....
trash.JPG

Note the rock in the upper right corner, I kept it just because it gave such a good signal and from its colour wasn't melted aluminum or lead although it was very heavy.

After looking at it under a strong microscope I got to thinking it could be gold. So.. I weighed it.. result - 9.662 grams. Heavy for the size.

Then I upped the magnification... sure looked like gold. It had rose quartz inclusions. But I still didn't want to say anything as I wasn't sure. 

So... I did a gold scratch test.. strongest acid I have is for 22k. It passed. So now I'm thinking, ok I must have screwed up that test.

Test again, still passed. Tried a magnet and its non magnetic. But I still couldn't believe it so..
Tried passing a current through it.. result - no appreciable loss of current. At this point I'm only willing to admit its a good chance it's a nugget. Meanwhile my two sons who had been helping with these experiments are calling me stubborn and insisting I post it.

I said no that I wanted an expert opinion. After all, it could be a piece of dropped gold that was crushed and scored. So...off to see an expert it went.

It was confirmed today by a professor of geology at the University of Alberta who specializes in mineralogy and ores to be a natural gold nugget.

Knock me over with a feather? I think so!

Here is a shot of the nugget with a dime to show its size..
1stnug.jpg

And a shot through the microscope showing one of the rose quartz inclusions.
inclusion.jpg

Bet it's a long time if ever that I find another nugget. I think I'll frame this one.
:)

HH all

Bear,
The lens on my small Pentax digital has the same outside circumference as the viewing lens on the microscope so I'm able to wrap my hand around both to hold the camera in place to shoot through the microscope.

I have been collecting US coins for many years and I have only recently began to learn the history of Canadian coins. I really enjoy seeing all of these old Canadian designs in your posts, very interesting. Very nice hunt!

Back
Top Bottom