Dirtfishing Newbie Hobbit from New Zealand Reporting In

fiboze

Hi all.

I'm a total newbie, awaiting delivery of my first detector - a Minelab 505 X-terra. Couldn't afford the 705 without selling an organ, so I settled for this one after days of researching. What's more, I'm blonde, so reading the instruction manual oughta be a challenge.

Any advice on starting out with the minimum of tools (treasure/relic/coin hunting) would be gratefully received. Looking forward to finding chestfuls of gold coins on my first foray. :roll: :grin:

Hi all.

I'm a total newbie, awaiting delivery of my first detector - a Minelab 505 X-terra. Couldn't afford the 705 without selling an organ, so I settled for this one after days of researching. What's more, I'm blonde, so reading the instruction manual oughta be a challenge.

Any advice on starting out with the minimum of tools (treasure/relic/coin hunting) would be gratefully received. Looking forward to finding chestfuls of gold coins on my first foray. :roll: :grin:

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

......Judging from your post you have a good sense of humor, so you should fit right in on this forum :laughing::laughing::laughing:

.....any specific questions, just ask, and members will be glad to help !

Thank you all for your kind welcomes.

Yes I do have a specific question Gary - in lieu of using a Japanese garden knife as a digging accoutrement, will a bread and butter knife do the job almost as well? Do I leave the butter on as a lubricating aid?

This really is a complex hobby, isn't it? What the heck have I done???

Welcome from W Tn. Hopefully if you are looking for gold you find enough to get whatever detector you want. Good luck and HH

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your kind welcomes.

Yes I do have a specific question Gary - in lieu of using a Japanese garden knife as a digging accoutrement, will a bread and butter knife do the job almost as well? Do I leave the butter on as a lubricating aid?

This really is a complex hobby, isn't it? What the heck have I done???

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Well, IF the soil is REALLY loose where you have to dig you could even use a spoon :laughing::laughing::laughing: -
spoondig.jpg

IF the soil is REALLY tough, then maybe this :laughing::laughing::laughing: -
digclay.jpg

.......but many people use stuff like these -
lesche.jpgFiskarsgardenknife.jpgHFminishovel.jpg

:digginahole:

Thank you kindly Pan.

Gary - as soon as I've paid off the mortgage on my detector I'll look into one of them beautiful diggery things.

I had a quick squiz around the websites locally and found digi digi mini Japanese garden knives. Their blades are 12cm long. Their prices would suit my budget, once the bank stops laughing at me. Would one of those be appropriate or would they be too short and inevitably drive me to murder the nearest unfortunate soul in my vicinity?

The trouble with living in hobbitous regions on the other side of earth is that the satisfaction of ordering things from overseas at great prices is nullified by the horrendous postage us hobbits have to pay to receive the durned things. And it's a heck of a long way to swim to go fetch it yourself. :no:

Thank you kindly Pan.

Gary - as soon as I've paid off the mortgage on my detector I'll look into one of them beautiful diggery things.

I had a quick squiz around the websites locally and found digi digi mini Japanese garden knives. Their blades are 12cm long. Their prices would suit my budget, once the bank stops laughing at me. Would one of those be appropriate or would they be too short and inevitably drive me to murder the nearest unfortunate soul in my vicinity?

The trouble with living in hobbitous regions on the other side of earth is that the satisfaction of ordering things from overseas at great prices is nullified by the horrendous postage us hobbits have to pay to receive the durned things. And it's a heck of a long way to swim to go fetch it yourself. :no:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yep, the shipping cost would be a factor :shock:

Is the "digi digi mini Japanese garden knives" something like this ? (it's about $20 (US)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NG6GJ8W?psc=1
hori.jpg

If so, it seems like it should be good as a budget digger.

Some of us here on a budget even start out using a budget digger like this - (it's about $12 (US)
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Grip-Garden-Knife-70796935J/dp/B000F95CZY
Fiskarsgardenknife.jpg

The main thing is that it is sharp enough to cut thru tough turf, but still durable enough that it won't easily bend or break.

That Fiskers digger has a lifetime warranty and they have a distributor in New Zealand.

I'd suggest a decent pinpointer and watch some videos on Youtube about people hunting with your detector so you can see how it will react (sounds, get some tips) so you'll be familiar with what to expect before it arrives.

Thanks Smokey.

Gary - yes, that's the one. As an experiment I just wandered around Amazon a little. What would cost you guys $45 with shipping over in the US would cost me $62.50, plus probably a phone call from NZ Customs, demanding to know why I'm importing a potential deadly weapon. They're renowned for being quite serious chaps over here - having your sense of humour AND humanity surgically removed is apparently a prerequisite of the job - and I'm not sure I want to tangle with them.

Actually, I was surprised at the shipping cost - normally it's around the $30 mark for a book. A small book. One with the covers removed.

A Lesche digging tool is $80 plus postage in NZ. I may have to sell one of my children. (Tries to decide which is the least favourite)

So at the moment, bread and butter knife plus spoon will have to do. It's a tough life living in Paradise.

That Fiskers digger has a lifetime warranty and they have a distributor in New Zealand.

I'd suggest a decent pinpointer and watch some videos on Youtube about people hunting with your detector so you can see how it will react (sounds, get some tips) so you'll be familiar with what to expect before it arrives.

Thanks Novice. I did a search on Fiskars in NZ but the knives don't appear to be here. I will get a pinpointer one day, but it will have to get in line with the rest of the stuff I can't afford right now. I'm sure all will be well once I find that chest of gold.

Yep, been looking at videos with glee and abandon while anticipating the arrival of my toy - I mean tool. I am a very excited little hobbit. :D

Thanks Novice. I did a search on Fiskars in NZ but the knives don't appear to be here. I will get a pinpointer one day, but it will have to get in line with the rest of the stuff I can't afford right now. I'm sure all will be well once I find that chest of gold.

Yep, been looking at videos with glee and abandon while anticipating the arrival of my toy - I mean tool. I am a very excited little hobbit. :D

The pinpointer is not a neccessity but it does help to get to the target faster. Depending on your hunting style, part of this hobby is trying to cover as much ground as possible with limited time. Anything to get into and out of the dirt faster, neater, cleaner is a bonus but not completely neccesary, and many dual use items can be substituted...just whatever you find works for you best.

Explore the forum to see what works best for others, read reviews and ask questions if you don't know or need advice. We've all been new here!

Cheers Net. :grin:

I just love this interweb thing. When you live on a small set of islands away from the rest of the world, being able to talk to people everywhere is way cool.

Over here, if you want to pop over to the neighbour's place (Australia) it takes a minimum of 3 hours on an airplane, or several weeks on a boat if you're not in a hurry.

The fact that I'm sitting in a horse trailer on a wee island in the South Pacific Ocean, chatting with people in Texas, etc, is something that boggles my mind and puts a big grin on my face.

Yay for technology!!! :yes:

Thanks Smokey.

Gary - yes, that's the one. As an experiment I just wandered around Amazon a little. What would cost you guys $45 with shipping over in the US would cost me $62.50, plus probably a phone call from NZ Customs, demanding to know why I'm importing a potential deadly weapon. They're renowned for being quite serious chaps over here - having your sense of humour AND humanity surgically removed is apparently a prerequisite of the job - and I'm not sure I want to tangle with them.

Actually, I was surprised at the shipping cost - normally it's around the $30 mark for a book. A small book. One with the covers removed.

A Lesche digging tool is $80 plus postage in NZ. I may have to sell one of my children. (Tries to decide which is the least favourite)

So at the moment, bread and butter knife plus spoon will have to do. It's a tough life living in Paradise.

......I just did a search on the NZ Fiskars also, but also could not find that garden knife, too bad since here it is only about $12

Perhaps you can check your local gardening and/or hardware stores and find something similar to the Fiskars garden knife at a similar low price
Fiskarsgardenknife.jpg

Back
Top Bottom