Hello to all

Vikesfankory

Hello everyone,

I was asked to do an introduction so I will begin by telling you all a little about myself. My name is Kory. I very recently started metal detecting. My son and I started two weeks ago. We always talked about doing this and recently I recieved a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV from someone just looking to get it out of their home. My son and I nerd over many things but this has been insane. We love it for a multitude of reasons. Obviously the biggest is the thrill of the hunt, however we are just learning and testing. We have enjoyed nice park clean ups :D . We have found a fair amount of newer coins and a silver ring. We have both decided that it is time to get a second machine (he doesn't want to share...neither do I) and I have done a lot of reading as of late. I would like to pose a question for some people on this site. I know this is an annoying question from what I have read on many sites and forums. But what would be a good second detector for a beginner. As I know there are many variables that go into this equation I would like to give some detail on what we would like. First off we live in Minnesota and do not have the means to travel frequently. We also have a spot that we are looking to check out at my in laws place. They have an old ww2 nazi camp on their property. Its been untouched since being shut down. About 15 years ago I explored it and found an old torn up uniform belonging to what I (and my inlaw) believe a Nazi soldier. I think this could be an exciting weekend for us. The issue I have is in some places there can be a 6 inches to a foot of standing water. Not many places though. I would like a machine that is reliable and has has some discrepancy settings. Again, something good for a beginner. All other places we would want to go would be similar as of now. I have a 300 dollar budget I have set aside for this. If possible I would like to get a decent pin pointer as I ran into another detector enthusiast who said they are worth their weight in gold at places I would like to search. I may have found a used pin pointer pro for $50. So any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. We have been looking at the fisher f22 for our start to add to what we have. But I may be willing to spend a tad more to start if its that big of a difference. From what I gathered thus far is its about learning the tone and just playing around with it. To be honest we don't mind digging up junk. It's still nice just being outside and cleaning nature. But if we are going to start getting into this a much as I think we will any advice is good advice. Fyi I have thoroughly enjoyed lurking on a ton of the threads in this site. Very informative and unbiased stuff. We will really enjoy being a part of this group.

Welcome to the forum and hello from CT...you both have caught the fever it seems, so I would suggest skip getting another beginner's unit you'll just outgrow by summer...and look for a higher end used machine. There's a lot of very good detectors available in the $300-$500 price range.

Welcome from Nebraska.

It wouldn't hurt to give Bart at Big Boys Hobbies a call and see what he can do for you.

Welcome to the forum Kory (and your son)... from the Flint Hills of Manhattan, Kansas!

I agree with Captain Silver... get a second machine that your going to grow in to & keep for a while. There are several reputable dealers here... that would be more than happy to help you out. Just a for instance... not long ago a dealer had a "almost new" in the box with accessories Fisher F70 for $369. That's just one of many great deals on used detectors that are out there.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice

I have talked to a few dealers today and they reiterated what some of you have said. I think I will get an AT pro for myself so that I have something to grow into. The dealer said its a great machine that I can grow into and emjoy for many years. He also said the waterproofing will be good in the swampy areas of the camp we will fo to just in case of a drop. I'm super stoked!

Back
Top Bottom