Digging Tool advice

Pastor

I would like advice on a good digging tool . Does the serrated edges types catch on small roots ? Thanks

Hey Pastor, The serrated edges are there to help saw your way through the smaller roots usually found around trees or shrubs. Both, hand diggers such as a lesche and shovels such as some of the sampson's have the serrated edges.

I find that while the serrated edges on the hand diggers may seem to initially try to hang when they first contact the roots but unless the roots are really big in diameter the serrated edge seems to make pretty short work of cutting through the root. Of course with the Sampson I don't notice the roots much and they are easier to cut through due to the fact that you are using your weight to push the shovel downward. I hope this makes sense.

I had much rather have the serrated edge than NOT have it. There are some folks who add serrated edges to their diggers. It's a matter of personal choice, so you have to decide for yourself which you prefer. I suggest finding some other detectorists in your area and try out their diggers to see which you like best.

My diigging tools are the Lesche hand digger and the Sampson 31" shovel with the serrated edge. Keep in mind that you have to take care of your gear whether it be your detector,your knee pads, or your digging tools. You can check the edges on your diggers and sharpen them if they become dull. HH

Hey Pastor, The serrated edges are there to help saw your way through the smaller roots usually found around trees or shrubs. Both, hand diggers such as a lesche and shovels such as some of the sampson's have the serrated edges.

I find that while the serrated edges on the hand diggers may seem to initially try to hang when they first contact the roots but unless the roots are really big in diameter the serrated edge seems to make pretty short work of cutting through the root. Of course with the Sampson I don't notice the roots much and they are easier to cut through due to the fact that you are using your weight to push the shovel downward. I hope this makes sense.

I had much rather have the serrated edge than NOT have it. There are some folks who add serrated edges to their diggers. It's a matter of personal choice, so you have to decide for yourself which you prefer. I suggest finding some other detectorists in your area and try out their diggers to see which you like best.

My diigging tools are the Lesche hand digger and the Sampson 31" shovel with the serrated edge. Keep in mind that you have to take care of your gear whether it be your detector,your knee pads, or your digging tools. You can check the edges on your diggers and sharpen them if they become dull. HH
thank you ...

I have the exact same diggers, and I agree with everything he said....:yes:

31 T serrated edge Lesche Sampson

The 2nd & last one down on the steps , is what you want, Earl

Attachments

• 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 281
I carry both a T-handle and a hand digger. I wish my sampson T-handle was serrated, but alas, it is not. I also just replaced my Leche with the new White's digger. It is serrated on both sides. I am liking it. It also has a better grip on it.

I carry both a T-handle and a hand digger. I wish my sampson T-handle was serrated, but alas, it is not. I also just replaced my Leche with the new White's digger. It is serrated on both sides. I am liking it. It also has a better grip on it.

+1 I have the same, T handle Sampson with serrations and the White's digger.
They are both great and I also like the grip on the White's the best.

As far as hand diggers, I use the Lesche with serrations if I know I will be digging in some rooty areas and up close to trees or vegetation. If I am doing a nicely kept yard or park area then I use my Raptor Model 31

I don't believe that the notches matter as much on a shovel since you are using more force. On a hand held digger they seem to catch more often. I use a Hori-Hori knife and they aren't as large and don't catch as much.
GT_Hori-Hori.jpg

Back
Top Bottom