Digger you got to Have

daddyflea

You read all the time about these guys popping Coins with a Screwdriver. Well I found right off I could not do it.

That is until I found the right tool. I bought this at Harbor Freight while killing time and It was the best purchase I made in a while.

This was stored with the Pry Bars. I think this cost me $2.99. I am telling you, you need one of these.

This is not much bigger than a normal Screw Driver.

i shink those r typically used by folx that do body werk on vehiclez.
great find

Yup it is a small pry bar. I'm sure it would work great, thanks for the idea.

I'd rather not risk scratching my first gold coin personally.... lol

I dont go straight down. I go under and lift up. So far this has less Coins damaged than digging plugs. In fact I have actually hit none. Mainly because I only use the Popper when I can Pinpoint from above ground.

The point is do you really want to risk it do you want to risk scratching a $5,000 coin make it into a $5 coin that's all I'm saying

Folks this excuse is so lame it is even a little funny. Lets face it almost none of us has dug a Coin worth more than around $50. That being said Coins you will pop to the surface are shallow clad anyway. Most of them wont even bring face value. Add that to the 1 in about 50 you may actually scratch and there is no risk at all. If you can pop them it is on to the next target so much quicker and this will actually increase your odds of finding something good.

Folks this excuse is so lame it is even a little funny. Lets face it almost none of us has dug a Coin worth more than around $50. That being said Coins you will pop to the surface are shallow clad anyway. Most of them wont even bring face value. Add that to the 1 in about 50 you may actually scratch and there is no risk at all. If you can pop them it is on to the next target so much quicker and this will actually increase your odds of finding something good.

It only takes ONE scratch to ruin a find of a lifetime... Make your choice, but live with it when you least expect it. ;)

It only takes ONE scratch to ruin a find of a lifetime... Make your choice, but live with it when you least expect it. ;)

I have never sold a coin in the 41 years I have been detecting. I do have some scratched ones but it was all from digging. Those are worth just as much to me as the others. One day the Kids may see it different but I won't be worried about it.

I think there is much more danger from using these large DD coils where Pinpointing can be difficult.

This Digger is long so it is easy to get deep underneath the coins. If you cant pinpoint from the top with the pointer, I would not even attempt to pop them.

You can lessen the chances of scratching a coin by rounding the edges so they aren't square. I use a brass brazing rod in my probe and it is softer and less likely to scratch a coin. You can gently probe for the coin and then slide it in at an angle above the coin and then raise it. This creates a slit where the coin can be removed without digging.
Probe.jpg

Where that would work well is in really dried up ground where it's coming out in larger chunks,so the chances are the coin will be IN one of those chunks. Or...in ground that's a bit frozen and you need a little leverage to break up the surrounding ground.
I've only found one coin that I COULD sell for in the 100 dollar range but like Flea says,99% of us never sell found coins anyway. I'd rather my kids keep all of my good coins in an heirloom container when I'm dead and gone. And that won't be for some time,God willing....

Back
Top Bottom