Some CW Lead & ID Request

mr_whipple

Loving the new Deus but it's making me tired digging all this lead! :D

IMG_0877_1.JPG

This is going in the electrolysis bucket, but I'm fairly sure it's a piece of a cannonball.

IMG_0869_1.JPG

It's this piece I can't ID. It's brass to the best of my knowledge, and I've looked at it as close as I can but I see no discernible markings on either side. My eye wants to see a third rivet there for symmetry, but there is no evidence of there ever being one. Its slightly curved, with the convex facing you. I'm guessing it was flat originally and was attached to something either leather or wood, but that's as much as I can figure.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0871_1.JPG
    IMG_0871_1.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 303
If digging all that lead is wearing you out, there are plenty of us here who are willing to help.:roll:

On your "cannon ball piece", I think I will wait until you have run it thru. But it looks promising.

If digging all that lead is wearing you out, there are plenty of us here who are willing to help.:roll:

On your "cannon ball piece", I think I will wait until you have run it thru. But it looks promising.

I'm sure there's a bunch of help just waiting!

Reminds me of talking to many of the "old timers" detecting back in the 70's and 80's. Detectors making a quantum leap in technology, opened up those sites.

They would talk of 100 bullet days, hunting until their arms gave out!

Congrats on your digs and best of luck on your ID piece. Looks like a frag to me!

Could that brass piece be a padlock hole cover?

great job on the lead. maybe outside corner off a steamer trunk ? hh blev

you got one nice Gardner (CSA) bullet there. It's on the bottom row, second from the left with two rings on it. Nice assortment. :thumbsup:

Thanks all!

Mikey, I have one or two of those, and you are right it's nice. The impacted bullet next to it is also a gardner.

Still can't figure that brass piece. been pouring over books and the web, can't make heads or tails of it. FWIW my buddy found a glass bridle rosette that day so along with everything else, I'm making the assumption it's a period piece.

I've only been going at this for two years now, so I'm calling myself pretty darn lucky for all the stuff I've found, let alone what I've learned. I think one of my first posts here was a request to ID a gardner...

Last edited:
And there it is. As clean as it needs to be for now. From rough measurements it's too small to be a 6 pounder, so a 12 it was.

Attachments

• 005_1.JPG
    005_1.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 003_1.JPG
    003_1.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom