Seeking Permission Approach

Many people saying to make a list and sit down and call them. But hardly anyone has a landline anymore. Just have to knock on doors.

Just go up and ask. I have found that when I ask permission, a lot of the people are very interested to see whats in their yard / property.

I would like to start a discussion about seeking permission. More specifically, permission to hunt around someone's house/property. I've been in the hobby now for quite a few years and for some reason, I just can't seem to muster the courage to "cold call" on folks to ask permission. Yes, I know, the worst that they can say is "no" but there's a level of uncomfortable there that I can't seem to shake. I know that once a few permissions are granted, then courage to knock on a new door gets easier. So, I'd like to ask everyone what their approach is. Do you offer to relinquish/share your finds with the owner? Thanks for the input or advice! HH to all!

Yes offer some of your finds to them . It's works for me quite well.

Thanksd

Yes offer some of your finds to them . It's works for me quite well.
Sounds good! Thanks! So what is your "ice breaker"? "Hi! Can I dig in your yard?" Haha! I was just curious how permission seekers typically start their conversations/permissions. I'm a very sociable person and don't find it difficult at all to strike up a conversation with a total stranger but to just cold call/knock on someone's door seeking permission puts the entire situation in a whole different light. It IS true that the worst they can say is no but I am still trying to get over that "permission hurdle". I'll definitely offer to share my finds.
Including all the can slaw and pull tabs! ;)Thanks again for your suggestion.;)

I'll tell you danged old what...There is a recent phenomenon taking place in the past few years... A guy can go through a whole week without having any human interaction at all, not even with your Spouse!.....You can pull up to a pump, slip in your card, gas up and be gone...you can use a debit card at an ATM, you can pay all your bills electronically...You can go days without talking to or interacting with a danged old Human Bean 'face to face' if you dont want to...

Theres a lot of Lonely folks out there that would enjoy you knocking on their door now a days...they wouldnt give a Tinkers cuss about sharing your finds, just a friendly person to talk to and maybe get to watch Somebody DOING SOMETHING thats not on TV!!

People are craving the face to face excitement of dialoging with a stranger..even if its a Panhandler at a stop light... Hell, their own kids dont even come to visit anymore, hardly call..., So yeah...you are doing THEM a favor with your request to hunt their yard!...

Thinking back here...the last Strangers that have knocked on my door with a favor request in the past 3yrs? 2! One was a Foreign exchange Student that got lost, no command of the regional linguistics used around here... and I of course drove them home..the other was also an unfortunate, dragging a C-pap machine along on a stroll around the Lake when a blizzard hit..wearing tennis shoes...Half froze to death....said he knocked on 20 doors and I was the first to answer...I remember them, but do they remember me? Doesnt matter...

All us old guys have a predisposition to entertain or help Strangers...We dont want to miss an Angel...We have great Life Stories, and here we sit waiting for a willing ear to come along...

So yeah...Go knock an interesting door..do some Lonely body a favor, brighten up their Life...!

Some of them havnt talked to a Human since the 90's... Let them make you lunch if they offer, chillax...dont concentrate on the pennies or the dirt finds...the real treasure of 'Door Knocking' is in the meeting and encouragement of a Vibrant Lonely Inspirational Soul....When you find one, you will never forget them, they will make you far richer than anything out in the yard.......

Last edited:
I'll tell you danged old what...There is a recent phenomenon taking place in the past few years... A guy can go through a whole week without having any human interaction at all, not even with your Spouse!.....You can pull up to a pump, slip in your card, gas up and be gone...you can use a debit card at an ATM, you can pay all your bills electronically...You can go days without talking to or interacting with a danged old Human Bean 'face to face' if you dont want to...

Theres a lot of Lonely folks out there that would enjoy you knocking on their door now a days...they wouldnt give a Tinkers cuss about sharing your finds, just a friendly person to talk to and maybe get to watch Somebody DOING SOMETHING thats not on TV!!

People are craving the face to face excitement of dialoging with a stranger..even if its a Panhandler at a stop light... Hell, their own kids dont even come to visit anymore, hardly call..., So yeah...you are doing THEM a favor with your request to hunt their yard!...

Thinking back here...the last Strangers that have knocked on my door with a favor request in the past 3yrs? 2! One was a Foreign exchange Student that got lost, no command of the regional linguistics used around here... and I of course drove them home..the other was also an unfortunate, dragging a C-pap machine along on a stroll around the Lake when a blizzard hit..wearing tennis shoes...Half froze to death....said he knocked on 20 doors and I was the first to answer...I remember them, but do they remember me? Doesnt matter...

All us old guys have a predisposition to entertain or help Strangers...We dont want to miss an Angel...We have great Life Stories, and here we sit waiting for a willing ear to come along...

So yeah...Go knock an interesting door..do some Lonely body a favor, brighten up their Life...!

Some of them havnt talked to a Human since the 90's... Let them make you lunch if they offer, chillax...dont concentrate on the pennies or the dirt finds...the real treasure of 'Door Knocking' is in the meeting and encouragement of a Vibrant Lonely Inspirational Soul....When you find one, you will never forget them, they will make you far richer than anything out in the yard.......

This may be the best thing I have read in forever! Nice!!!

This may be the best thing I have read in forever! Nice!!!

yes: Mudpuppy is the most gifted writer on the forum. I am convinced he's distantly related to Ernest Heminway, John Steinbeck, Mark Twain, or Charles Dickens.

Relax, keep it simple...dont offer nothing, dont over think it...plenty of great advice and tips on this subject....Its good experience talking to strangers, asking permission, ..so go get you some and learn from the 'No's'...Some places aint worth a Yes anyway...

Back when I grew up, at very early ages, we were banging on doors and asking all the time: "Do you want your grass mowed?" "Driveway shoveled?" "Leaves raked?" "Subscribe to the newspaper?" So it sort of comes natural to a lot of us and its no big deal....You might start by asking around in your circle of influence, Church, Work...people that know you...

Best way to learn is: in field practice and application...Just go out and do it...

This is great advice!

I would like to start a discussion about seeking permission. More specifically, permission to hunt around someone's house/property. I've been in the hobby now for quite a few years and for some reason, I just can't seem to muster the courage to "cold call" on folks to ask permission. Yes, I know, the worst that they can say is "no" but there's a level of uncomfortable there that I can't seem to shake. I know that once a few permissions are granted, then courage to knock on a new door gets easier. So, I'd like to ask everyone what their approach is. Do you offer to relinquish/share your finds with the owner? Thanks for the input or advice! HH to all!

Facebook proved to be a unintentional source of permission for me.

Posted pictures of finds, junk etc., and had friends comment how cool they were.

Asked them if they knew of any places to try.

Got lots of tips, and also some friends gave me to permission to hunt their property, as well as asking people I didn't even know if it would be alright to hunt their woods, fields, yards....

I don't like to directly ask for permission either, but have done it and succeeded. Be yourself, be honest and you'll probably get the permission.

On another note - if the property owner mentions splitting finds, picking from your finds etc., and you agree to it, stick to the agreement.

Some on this forum have suggested lying and cheating by keeping "good finds in one pocket/pouch", and finds to show as a part of the agreement in another.

I would never do that. Personal choice.

Good luck!

Facebook Neighborhood Groups

Facebook proved to be a unintentional source of permission for me.

My neighborhood has a Facebook page just for members of the neighborhood. There are many members on it and I have thought about throwing a post out there and offering a six pack, or something similar, and asking if anyone would let me detect on their property,then just take it from there. I haven’t had the nerve to do it yet, but I live in Portland and they love their beer here, so it might actually work!

Anyways, if you have a Facebook account, maybe check and see if the neighborhood you live in has their own group or page. It could be a good resource. The neighborhood pages is also a good place to find out the scoop of activities and gossip that’s going on too... :shock:

Great post Mud

We have mutual friend that I will mention.But he was not at home,try again tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom