WEEKEND REPORT: WOW! Did we find the oldest coin ever recorded in Washington State?

SilverChirp

Hello Everyone!

Back in the Saddle! :badrain::badrain::badrain: In this weeks hunt we found a lot of silver and probably the oldest coin ever video recorded in Washington State... maybe. We're talking foreign 1600's mintage!

The Pacific Northwest monsoons have started. In fact, the lights are blinking as I type this. Heavy winds and pouring rain brings out our group. Andrew, Virginia, Butch, Justin and Josh bring you adventures in metal detecting from the oldest houses around the Pacific Northwest. Lots of great relics, coins and vintage toys are found in typical Relic Rangers fashion. :stormy:

Mercs, buffs and injuns, oh my! See ya'll next week, and happy hunting!

-SilverChirp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vESTLNRRlI

Attachments

• ep35.jpg
    ep35.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 791
Congrats! I can't watch videos on my phone so I didn't see it. Pics would be so awesome!!! Not everyone can watch or has the time to watch videos....

Congrats! I can't watch videos on my phone so I didn't see it. Pics would be so awesome!!! Not everyone can watch or has the time to watch videos....

^ This. My internet has been awful for months and they're still working on the tower, some type of rfi interference they claim, so no videos for me. Dang. :mad: :lol:

Wow! If only that coin could talk! A coin 150-175 years prior to full-scale WA State white settlement is unreal, even if it's a Chinese coin.

Loved the video! That time of the year AGAIN? See, I told you that the east coast wasn't for you. You'd probably dry up and blow away, haha! :laughing: GL&HH!

Looks like a fun hunt and lots of keepers. I'm sure anything with a date in the 19th century is considered pretty old for you west coast diggers.

Not to take anything away from the Chinese coin but it was most likely a later drop that would date more like the other coins found with it. A lot of those coins were souvenirs from WWI and brought home with soldiers only to be lost by kids showing them off to their friends.

tom in ca should be excited about someone finally finding something old on the west coast:p :lol:

They were dropped during/after settlement, but still cool..... ;)

Likely, but that's speculation too. Notice I didn't say dropped "150 - 175 years prior to full-scale white settlement" because we don't know. :cool:

To minimize confusion I probably could have stated: "A coin [minted] 150-175 years prior to full-scale WA State white settlement is unreal, even if [it was found much later and] it's a Chinese coin.

I lived in the PNW for 20 years and I've studied PNW history, so the possibilities of this coin's arrival are pretty cool in the region.

Likely, but that's speculation too. Notice I didn't say dropped "150 - 175 years prior to full-scale white settlement" because we don't know. :cool:

To minimize confusion I probably could have stated: "A coin [minted] 150-175 years prior to full-scale WA State white settlement is unreal, even if [it was found much later and] it's a Chinese coin.

I lived in the PNW for 20 years and I've studied PNW history, so the possibilities of this coin's arrival are pretty cool in the region.

Correct. Just stating that MOST of the time, with the older Chinese coins, they are held as keepsakes within the family, and carried here by the Chinese laborers that helped settle the United States. I have one from mid-1700's, which is my oldest coin, that I found down here in SoCal at a location that was occupied from 1880-1910 or so. Anything possible though, and like you said, pretty cool......

Back
Top Bottom