Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Forum Help & Announcements

Old 09-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Default Attention Mac users

If you have a Mac running Mojave, DO NOT upgrade to the newest security update, dubbed 10.14.6

Thousands on Mac users, me included, are experiencing enormous speed DECREASE and humongously large memory requirements.

Skip this release for now and wait for a fix from Apple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:57 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Rudy View post
If you have a Mac running Mojave, DO NOT upgrade to the newest security update, dubbed 10.14.6

Thousands on Mac users, me included, are experiencing enormous speed DECREASE and humongously large memory requirements.

Skip this release for now and wait for a fix from Apple.
Thanks Rudy, this will explain why I have struggled today uploading web pages.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:28 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

Thanks Rudy!

I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 and am not experiencing any issues.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Elite Member

Strangely, Winblows kinda did the same thing recently; I had to do a system restore to use my PC at all and it was due to an update installed while I was sleeping. So fun to wake up to.

Old 09-28-2020, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Doug View post
Thanks Rudy, this will explain why I have struggled today uploading web pages.
After I finish re-restoring back to previous version, I am disabling automatic updates. From now on I will not upgrade until the upgrade has been out for a week and there are no bad reports.

Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View post
Thanks Rudy!

I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 and am not experiencing any issues.
Any reason for staying on High Sierra?

I am debating moving to Catalina. I hadnít because of my large photo libraries, which where on iPhotos, but Iíve migrated them to the new Photo app.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Old 09-28-2020, 02:50 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

Probably still on High Sierra because I don't have auto updates on and didn't know it!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Probably still on High Sierra because I don't have auto updates on and didn't know it!
Well that explains it. But it should have been giving messages about updates being available.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:02 AM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Well that explains it. But it should have been giving messages about updates being available.
There is an option not to have updates in the 'systems preference' but I have a feeling Apple can override that for security reasons?

Mine looks to be back to normal now, said he tempting fate....!

Old 09-29-2020, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Doug View post
There is an option not to have updates in the 'systems preference' but I have a feeling Apple can override that for security reasons?

Mine looks to be back to normal now, said he tempting fate....!
FYI, there also are problems being reported with the new 14.0 Safari release.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:50 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

So, like I said I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 and Safari 13.1.2 am wondering what you guys recommend for my iMac?

Old 09-30-2020, 12:59 AM
Administrator

So, like I said I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 and Safari 13.1.2 am wondering what you guys recommend for my iMac?
If you don't run any 32 bit apps and can get 64 bit drivers for your peripherals, you could go with Catalina.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:25 AM
"Can Do" Moderator

If you don't run any 32 bit apps and can get 64 bit drivers for your peripherals, you could go with Catalina.
Thanks Rudy! Don't want to show my tech illiteracy, but can you explain in layman's terms what those would be?

Old 09-30-2020, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Thanks Rudy! Don't want to show my tech illiteracy, but can you explain in layman's terms what those would be?
For example, iPhoto won't run on Catalina. You would have to migrate your photo library to the newer Photo app. The easiest way to check is to download the Go64 app. It's free! You can download it from here: https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

It will scan your hard drive and flag all the 32 bit apps you have. Then you can decide what you want to do.