Ghost Town and Logging Trails

DbblTap

Elite Member
I have been looking for Ghost towns and old Logging trails in NY and having a very hard time.
Anybody have tips or tricks?

Thanks !

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I have been looking for Ghost towns and old Logging trails in NY ....

Since I'm in CA, I won't have much to input about NY research resources. However, just want to comment on the "logging trails" part of your question. For areas where logging historically occurred there, I think your focus should be on finding where the logger tent cities were. Not the "trails".

The better source of fumble finger goodies is always where the workers LIVED, ate, slept, drank, played, etc.... Not just "random farm-to-market trails".

I know that's how it is with the logging that occurred in CA: The workers took months to clear cut sections of the forest. And .... during that/those times, the workers set up "base camps" where 100-ish guys would live. That would only last a few months, before the timber got clear-cut from the several-mile radius. They'd pick up all their tents, move a few more miles further into the hills, and set up yet-another camp-site for a few months.

Thus it's those camp sites I would think you'd be looking for. Not the roads/trails.

Since I'm in CA, I won't have much to input about NY research resources. However, just want to comment on the "logging trails" part of your question. For areas where logging historically occurred there, I think your focus should be on finding where the logger tent cities were. Not the "trails".

The better source of fumble finger goodies is always where the workers LIVED, ate, slept, drank, played, etc.... Not just "random farm-to-market trails".

I know that's how it is with the logging that occurred in CA: The workers took months to clear cut sections of the forest. And .... during that/those times, the workers set up "base camps" where 100-ish guys would live. That would only last a few months, before the timber got clear-cut from the several-mile radius. They'd pick up all their tents, move a few more miles further into the hills, and set up yet-another camp-site for a few months.

Thus it's those camp sites I would think you'd be looking for. Not the roads/trails.
Good advice but I am not even finding the trails that would lead me to the area or where there was a logging camp.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Overhead Photos

Next door here in Ct. We are lucky to have old aerial photos in the Ct St online library. Some are free! Ive never looked for logging but I have had luck finding "areas of interest" to try. Its worth a look in your state to see if you have a simular online service.

Back
Top Bottom