Question about taking the Nox in the water...headphones

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
So just to be sure, do you need to get underwater headphones to actually dump these in the water?
If so is there a workaround, maybe some sort of plug or waterproof adapter I can use instead?
I would like to get into the water a bit but it will only be a once in awhile thing and I would hate to have to buy special, (expensive), headphones just to take it out in the water or protect it against dunking it accidentally in shallow water or streams.

Last edited:
So just to be sure, do you need to get underwater headphones to actually dump these in the water?
If so is there a workaround, maybe some sort of plug or waterproof adapter I can use instead?
I would like to get into the water a bit but it will only be a once in awhile thing and I would hate to have to buy special, (expensive), headphones just to take it out in the water or protect it against dunking it accidentally in shallow water or streams.

I don't think so. If you do, my Equinox is screwed, its been in the water plenty.

So just the way it is out of the box is ok using just the dust cap?
The manual is confusing...at one point it says you need to use headphones and in another part it also says the headphone port is waterproof even without the dust cap...but to be careful water does not get inside and if it does dry it with a hairdryer.

Pretty sure they meant if you do use headphones they need to be waterproof type to keep the waterproofing intact but that is not how it reads.
The manual also says you need to use Minelab phones which I know is not true...from what I have read not many think very highly if the yellow ML phones, anyway.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Yep, just the dust cap on. You’re right in interpreting the manual and the headphones. I just re-read it and saw plenty of videos of the head underwater sans headphones.

On the plus side, the Bluetooth still keeps a connection fully submerged up to about an inch underwater before r gives out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used the wireless headphones in waist deep water without issues. You can also dunk it without headphones but it's nearly inaudible, you have to constantly look at the screen or feel the vibration caused by the speaker when it sounds off.

Yep, just the dust cap on. You’re right in interpreting the manual and the headphones. I just re-read it and saw plenty of videos of the head underwater sans headphones.

On the plus side, the Bluetooth still keeps a connection fully submerged up to about an inch underwater before r gives out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used the wireless headphones in waist deep water without issues. You can also dunk it without headphones but it's nearly inaudible, you have to constantly look at the screen or feel the vibration caused by the speaker when it sounds off.

Yea, not sure I will need to use any headphones, unless I get waterproof phones in shallow streams, creeks and rivers listening to the speaker is good enough, if I do go out deeper in lakes I won't be going out too much further than waist deep.
As long as I can see the screen that should be fine.
Or, I might use the bluetooth phones that were supplied, I am not impressed with them anyway so I never use them so in case I get them wet by accident I won't cry too much.
Like I said I have no plans to get out in the water a lot right now, just a little at one small swimming beach area at a local state park.
Hunting on land right now is a drag, it is hot and we are in summer dry conditions which means my clay filled soil is like concrete and I haven't hunted in weeks.
I have a 6" coil on the way to me as of today so fall and winter hunting season
can't come soon enough for me.

Last edited:
You are welcome.
I am sure this thread due to title will get a lot of looks.

Probably.
I have noticed several posts about Gray Ghost phones being used and seem to be popular.
I don't have a pressing need for them now but in the future I might.
Maybe others will post about their favorites...probably nice to have one thread with a lot of information in it about this subject.
I bet plenty of new Nox owners never went into the water before...like me.

Get yourself some waterproof ear buds and a connector to make yourself a nice solution.

can use waist deep without a problem.

I use it waist deep with the dust cap tightly screwed on without a problem.

but I bought the Minelab 1/4" phone to 1/8" adapter. (expensive) that 1/8" end of the adapter cord is water tight. I use non-water proof headphones and all is well. I don't go in water over waist or chest deep sometimes and I heard all signals when the Equinox is submerged. But I find it not very easy hunting and recovering targets in chest high water lakes. Where I hunt there are very many drop offs in this large man made lake in the chest high area.

Back
Top Bottom