Final answer...

metaladdict

Elite Member
I prefer my AT Pro over my Equinox 800. Just love all the audio and video info it gives!
My Nox is good but my main detector is Garrett.:D:yes:
Happy hunting you pirates!

This is interesting for sure..

I've loved my ATP, but always looking for something better at freshwater small gold and chains..

Haven't seen enough from Nox users to think about..

<°)))>{

weird, my mxsport walks all over the at pro. And Though I am still learning the equinox, it seems to be doing a few things my sport can't.........

Different strokes for different folks, I'm completely happy with my AT Gold and minelab explorer SE combo. Both have served me very well for many years. Obsolete or not!!!

weird, my mxsport walks all over the at pro. And Though I am still learning the equinox, it seems to be doing a few things my sport can't.........

Each person has their favorite, You and I both have the Equinox so together a detectorist can have a winning combo!

Different strokes for different folks, I'm completely happy with my AT Gold and minelab explorer SE combo. Both have served me very well for many years. Obsolete or not!!!

I hear you, a detector isn't obsolete really until it stops working. Its just that we have modern technology making them smaller,deeper, faster, lighter.:cool:

Short answer is that I have the AT Pro and Nox 800 and plan on continuing using both. I had both of them out a few days ago at a permission. No dust collection.

I've cleared out some sites first with the AT Pro and did not find anything significant with the Nox afterwards. Yet other places I've put in hours on the AT Pro and came through with the Nox and found handfuls of more finds. So, it depends on the conditions of the site, what's in the ground, and how handy you are with the AT Pro in Pro Zero mode. I know the Nox can detect targets under certain conditions the ATP misses, but in most cases it's the difference of squeezing out a few more goodies.

That post I had a few days ago from the 1890's vacant lot was about 8 hours of the AT Pro using the standard and the 5x8 coils and then about 4 hours with the Nox using the standard coil. Heavy, heavy, iron. I never found anything significant in that few hours with the Nox. I cleaned my own yard out with the AT Pro--a dozen silver, 30+ wheats, and tons of other goodies--and I haven't found much else with the Nox. Maybe I would have cleared out that dirt faster with the Nox to begin with and dug less junk. Maybe not.

Yes, in other cases, it could mean a much bigger difference. In one large area of one of my permissions the AT pro was completely overwhelmed by the thousands of pull tabs in the dirt. At first I thought it was EMI, but it wasn't. All it could do was give jumpy numbers and an occasional beep. I went back over that area with the Nox and was immediately popping coins. No problem.

On the other hand, last Friday I spent a few HOURS going over a 40x40 area with the Nox and pulled a bunch of coins until I thought it was pretty well cleaned out. I went back over it with the AT Pro and found a few more, including some deep coins. Perhaps I would have found them with the Nox if I had kept swinging it. Perhaps not.

In other words, put the time in with the AT Pro, especially on Pro Zero mode, and you'll find lots and lots of goodies. I've found plenty of small, deep objects with the ATPro. It's proven over and over again.

I like the backlight and screen size on the Nox, I really like the ability to change the tone volume and pitch, I find the Nox tones much easier on my ears over long periods of detecting, I like how much I can customize recovery speed and iron bias to certain conditions, I'm certain the Nox resets faster, and I like knowing I can take it to the beach with no issues.

I don't like the Nox's compression of VDI in the higher conductors. I get pennies that ring up like dimes and quarters and quarters that ring up like dimes and pennies. I don't do it often, but I can cherry pick dimes and/or quarters with the AT Pro and call it 90% of the time. With the Nox I'm still digging some pennies when I think I might have a dime or even quarter. Yet, nickels practically jump out of the ground and into my pocket with the Nox.

Last edited:
Yet, nickels practically jump out of the ground and into my pocket with the Nox.

Yes that is one of the benefits I see clearly over my other machines, along with the ability to handle mineralized areas a bit better.

Short answer is that I have the AT Pro and Nox 800 and plan on continuing using both. I had both of them out a few days ago at a permission. No dust collection.

I've cleared out some sites first with the AT Pro and did not find anything significant with the Nox afterwards. Yet other places I've put in hours on the AT Pro and came through with the Nox and found handfuls of more finds. So, it depends on the conditions of the site, what's in the ground, and how handy you are with the AT Pro in Pro Zero mode. I know the Nox can detect targets under certain conditions the ATP misses, but in most cases it's the difference of squeezing out a few more goodies.

That post I had a few days ago from the 1890's vacant lot was about 8 hours of the AT Pro using the standard and the 5x8 coils and then about 4 hours with the Nox using the standard coil. Heavy, heavy, iron. I never found anything significant in that few hours with the Nox. I cleaned my own yard out with the AT Pro--a dozen silver, 30+ wheats, and tons of other goodies--and I haven't found much else with the Nox. Maybe I would have cleared out that dirt faster with the Nox to begin with and dug less junk. Maybe not.

Yes, in other cases, it could mean a much bigger difference. In one large area of one of my permissions the AT pro was completely overwhelmed by the thousands of pull tabs in the dirt. At first I thought it was EMI, but it wasn't. All it could do was give jumpy numbers and an occasional beep. I went back over that area with the Nox and was immediately popping coins. No problem.

On the other hand, last Friday I spent a few HOURS going over a 40x40 area with the Nox and pulled a bunch of coins until I thought it was pretty well cleaned out. I went back over it with the AT Pro and found a few more, including some deep coins. Perhaps I would have found them with the Nox if I had kept swinging it. Perhaps not.

In other words, put the time in with the AT Pro, especially on Pro Zero mode, and you'll find lots and lots of goodies. I've found plenty of small, deep objects with the ATPro. It's proven over and over again.

I like the backlight and screen size on the Nox, I really like the ability to change the tone volume and pitch, I find the Nox tones much easier on my ears over long periods of detecting, I like how much I can customize recovery speed and iron bias to certain conditions, I'm certain the Nox resets faster, and I like knowing I can take it to the beach with no issues.

I don't like the Nox's compression of VDI in the higher conductors. I get pennies that ring up like dimes and quarters and quarters that ring up like dimes and pennies. I don't do it often, but I can cherry pick dimes and/or quarters with the AT Pro and call it 90% of the time. With the Nox I'm still digging some pennies when I think I might have a dime or even quarter. Yet, nickels practically jump out of the ground and into my pocket with the Nox.

I agree.:yes:

Garrett is just a solid performer..I didn’t like the equinox at first,,but after buying another one I think it’s pretty good performance wise..I still choose the at pro over the equinox for my own personal reasons tho.

Garrett is just a solid performer..I didn’t like the equinox at first,,but after buying another one I think it’s pretty good performance wise..I still choose the at pro over the equinox for my own personal reasons tho.

My exact thoughts. I am keeping my nox too.

Some detectors just speak the right language to their owners. Nothing wrong with that. I personally believe Garrett should release a multi frequency version in the AT series. Then the fun would begin.

Oh Yea, Well my 1987 Radio Shack Micronta 3006 makes all your ATP`s, Equinoxes and Whites V3i`s look like toys. I dug a pull tab at almost 2 inches the other day. :laughing:

It is all about what you enjoy. If you are running a detector you don't enjoy running that takes all the fun out of it. Is the performance better with the AT pro, In this case not a chance. But 90% of the time just getting over the top of the target is how you find the target. If you aren't detecting because you don't enjoy running your machine you certainly aren't going to find anything. Run what you like and have fun :)

It is all about what you enjoy. If you are running a detector you don't enjoy running that takes all the fun out of it. Is the performance better with the AT pro, In this case not a chance. But 90% of the time just getting over the top of the target is how you find the target. If you aren't detecting because you don't enjoy running your machine you certainly aren't going to find anything. Run what you like and have fun :)
I agree with this.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Never were more true words ever spoken!

I've never swung a Garrett but my one hunting buddy swings a Max. He's made some insane finds including a type 1 $1 gold coin (worn date), a peace dollar, several big coppers and lots of jewelry. He recently picked up an Equinox 800 but he still flip flops between the two. He's liking the Nox but he agrees it's tough to swing through high grass and isn't balanced all that great. I think I'm starting to develop a love/hate relationship with my Nox. I really hate swinging it in the grass unless it's cut short. I've actually been hunting with my Vaquero and Etrac lately in high grass spots because they swing so much better! This weekend we have our seeded club hunt with over 2600 targets. I can tell you right now that I will NOT be swinging the Nox.:lol:

You nailed it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The AT PRO has better ID numbers and hunts in iron better for me than the Equinox 800.

As far as the Equinox being the best for nickels, I'm not sure because the CZ3 D tuned by Tom Dankowski does not hit on the small pieces of beaver tail pulltabs the Equinox hits on.

Back
Top Bottom