Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 02-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Default Ultrasonic jewelers cleaner

Has anyone had any luck using an ultrasonic cleaner for coins and relics?
If so is it worth having one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by geoclean View post
Has anyone had any luck using an ultrasonic cleaner for coins and relics?
If so is it worth having one? ...
They are next to useless on coins/relics. The only good/purpose they have, is for cleaning rings, when a jeweler wants to get dirt out from under prongs and recesses . They do no good at all on coins and stuff md'rs find. IMHO.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM

Thanks I had wondered why we have not seen many topics on them.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:22 AM
Elite Member

It's good for cleaning jewellery and gold nuggets but not so on relics and coins. I tried to use mine to clean clad coins but it turned them blue for some reason

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $1780.51AUD (637x$2, 337x$1, 101x50c, 273x20c, 337x10c, 463x5c, 329x2c, 498x1c) and 208 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"

Old 02-14-2018, 06:28 AM
Supporter

It depends on what type of ultrasonic cleaner you are using. Youíre average jewelry ultrasonic cleaner wonít do diddly squat for coins and relics. You need an ultrasonic cleaner with a true sweep function and degas feature, which used to start in the $300-$500 range but some companies are now producing some that are in the $100-$200 range.

I use an industrial ultrasonic that I had from when I was repairing water damaged rusted out cell phoneís doing data recovery. On relics it will make a night and day difference. Iím about ready to run a cycle on some toasted civil war buttons I pulled, and youíll see the difference. For coins I only use it on clad, though I have used it on old tokens to pull details.

As a side benefit to having an industrial ultrasonic, you no longer have to worry about cleaning your gun parts after a range day. No matter how choked up with carbon they are, you just drop in for a couple minutes and out pops brand new looking gun parts.

Most in the metal Detecting community arenít familiar with ultrasonic cleaners beyond your average single frequency store bought jewelry model, hence youíll get mostly incorrect info on the topic. I can point you to some ultrasonic communities if youíre interested in it more.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
It depends on what type of ultrasonic cleaner you are using. Youíre average jewelry ultrasonic cleaner wonít do diddly squat for coins and relics. You need an ultrasonic cleaner with a true sweep function and degas feature, which used to start in the $300-$500 range but some companies are now producing some that are in the $100-$200 range.

I use an industrial ultrasonic that I had from when I was repairing water damaged rusted out cell phoneís doing data recovery. On relics it will make a night and day difference. Iím about ready to run a cycle on some toasted civil war buttons I pulled, and youíll see the difference. For coins I only use it on clad, though I have used it on old tokens to pull details.

As a side benefit to having an industrial ultrasonic, you no longer have to worry about cleaning your gun parts after a range day. No matter how choked up with carbon they are, you just drop in for a couple minutes and out pops brand new looking gun parts.

Most in the metal Detecting community arenít familiar with ultrasonic cleaners beyond your average single frequency store bought jewelry model, hence youíll get mostly incorrect info on the topic. I can point you to some ultrasonic communities if youíre interested in it more.

I would be interest in learning about them. I have a need for one for other than my metal detecting finds.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:49 PM

I've tried several times and have never had any luck.....I wouldn't recommend it

The Good Lord has led me to; one 1890-cc silver dollar, 1 Barber quarter, 1 mint Standing Liberty quarter, 9 silver washington quarters, 5 Standing Liberty half's, 3 Buffalo nickels, 2 Barber dimes, 68 Mercury dimes, 60 Roosevelt dimes, $615 clad, 6 gold rings, 5 silver rings, 1 returned gold wedding band