Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 02-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Elite Member

Default I Got This Site Lined Up To Detect

The chimney and the other standing building are about 40 yards apart. It's easy detecting around the site, but it's hell to get to the site. I'm not sure how old it is, but I'm pretty sure that it has never been detected. I plan on detecting it Sunday if the rain holds off.

beephead
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Supporter

Canít wait to see your results! GL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-13-2018, 08:28 PM
Supporter

Looks like a killer relic site!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 PM
Supporter

Hold on...had a little drool there. That looks awesome. Can't wait to see what you pull out. GL and HH!

Whites MXT All Pro, Tesoro Compadre 7"- Oldest Coin:1858 Flying eagle. Finds: 2018 (total) Clad: $32.91 ($215.68) Silver coins: 11 (47) Sterling: 2 (17) Gold: 0 (1) Buffalos: 0 (7) Wheats: 38 (141) Injuns: 3 (13) V Nicks: 0 (4)

Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Elite Member

If its that tough to get to I would plan on camping out there a few nights.

That would be Friggen Awesome to hike in with a full pack, Camp out, wake up in the cold,

start up the coffee and a small breakfast then start detecting being able to take your time

and take a coffee break when you want.............. Sorry for the rant, I`m an outdoor type,

LOL.

Cant wait to see your finds.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 PM

Looks like an incredible site to hunt. I hunt a lot of old homestead/townsite areas but they are typically in the late 1800s to early 1900s age and this looks much older. Good luck and looking forward to some pics of finds!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:54 PM
Elite Member

The site is way back in the sticks. I sure wouldn't take my SUV back there. My little brother said he'd take me and my hunting buddy back there and come back and pick us after he does some rabbit hunting. I've never really done any relic hunting, so this going to be a new experience for me.

Here's a video of us leaving the site. I stopped filming when we finally got back to a gravel road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYa8...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Supporter

That clearing at 3:30-4:00 or so looks pretty promising too Beep. I wouldn't camp there though man.

I'D MOVE IN!!

Whites MXT All Pro, Tesoro Compadre 7"- Oldest Coin:1858 Flying eagle. Finds: 2018 (total) Clad: $32.91 ($215.68) Silver coins: 11 (47) Sterling: 2 (17) Gold: 0 (1) Buffalos: 0 (7) Wheats: 38 (141) Injuns: 3 (13) V Nicks: 0 (4)

Old 02-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Supporter

Man! I sure like the looks of that place! Way back in the puckerbrush you say? What a great location to try to figure out!...Some Family long ago scrabbling out a living? Yeah...camp out if you can...that old dirt will speak to you..You got the gear and skills to work it right and do it justice! Go Beephead!

I'd deff build a cool little cabin right there around that chimney with whats left of that place...you got the timbers and tin...I'd stay there all Winter...gotta be a well or spring and for sure the outhouse to dig up...

Yeah...thats really something there...somebody hauled all those brick in from some nearby kiln..had to been a road going through...I seen some bamboo in your vid even...A guy could get in there and really make a nice little cabin with what is on hand....

...Its captured my interest...I wouldnt even hunt the place, just make something really cool back in there if I could stop in and spend a few nights from time to time...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Last edited by Mud-puppy; 02-14-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Elite Member

Cool looking place, slap a coat of paint on it and you can move in while detecting it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Elite Member

Hey Mud, I've got Lance going with me. He's the relic hunter, so I might get to learn something from him. I've got a good sense at figuring things out. That house with the remaining chimney was there long before all those trees that now surround it. There had to be a garden, a outhouse, a place for the mules and good source of water etc. That house site was chosen for good reasons and not just by chance. My brother got a look inside of the remaining shed/house before it collapsed. He said it had a dirt floor and there were books and music sheets. I don't think it is as old as the house with the remaining standing chimney. I wonder if the old house burned or just rotted away?

beephead

Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Supporter

Well, I'd say it probably burned...of course with a quick sweep or two you will know for sure the evidence of a fire...anyway, with a machete, shovel, bow saw, axe, hammer, brace and bit drill, a few other basics, a guy could make something really cool back in there!...Good gosh almighty! I cant wait to see what this site holds for you!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Supporter

Now *THIS* is some treasure hunting! Good luck beephead that looks like quite the adventure. Can't wait to see what you uncover

Old 02-14-2018, 12:40 PM

Awesome looking place. Definitely check around all sides of the chimney with your detector. Never know what could be hiding in a loose brick. Can't wait to see the results from that place.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:05 PM
Elite Member

I'm going to post some more pictures that I took that day. I wished that I would have video taped the site. I'm curious to know how old this house might be. See the daffodils in one of the pictures. I thought my nephew about daffodils not being a indigenous plant and if he sees them out in the woods that there's likely to be the remains of an old home place nearby.

beephead
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Elite Member

Looks like a good spot beephead.. good luck and post what you find..

Old 02-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Elite Member

When did they make sheet metal like in your pic ?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Wom 27 View post
When did they make sheet metal like in your pic ?
I don't know. I know when I lived with my grandparents in their old house that the smoke house and shed were built at least 50 years after the house was. I've seen where old sheds had new tin roofs put on them. I was hoping someone could date the standing chimney on the house. At any rate, we'll know more about it this coming Sunday when we start digging.

beephead

Old 02-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Supporter

I can't wait!

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 02-18-2018, 01:08 PM

There will probably be a lot of iron in the ground...be sure to bring a small coil with you.