Thanks for the cen-tek mod threads

CTKidd

Elite Member
Well my cen-tek pin pointer button finally broke. So I came to the forum started poking around and found the posts here on how to fix it. I had never sodered before, but figured why not learn.

Bought the parts at radio shack and here are the results. I cut a couple of small holes in the holder the cen-tek pointer comes with. It help keeps the dust and dew off the pin pointer, but I can still use all the controls. I just keep the pin pointer in my finds pouch and it is working like a dream.

IMG_20101111_135904.jpg

IMG_20101111_135721.jpg

IMG_20101111_135739.jpg

IMG_20101111_135813.jpg

Many thanks to dr_Maddog and all the others who posted the step by step directions and pictures on how to do this fix. I SODERED!!! ROAR!!

i hooked up a small vibrating motor insted of that loud speaker, i also switched out the power button with a more flush button that seems sealed better. i also added a drop of "lock tite" to the nut that holds the probe shaft and put a piece of heat shrink near the tip of the probe to keep dirt out, along with a piece of tape over the speaker hole to keep dirt out. the vibrating motor cost me 4 bucks and a new button was around 3 bucks which were all from radio shack. while the back was off i also gave the sensitivity pot a slight turn and now my cen tech can reach about 4-5 inches on coin sized targets if needed(i normally turn down the sensitivity knob down to about 2 inches of depth) if ya do hook up the micro vibrating motor a 33 ohm resistor is needed on the red wire of the motor(99 cents for 5 of them at radio shack)
i was so happy with the results that i went out and picked up a backup cen tech and did the mods. i use the cen tech every hunt and keep the vibra probe my wife bought me at home.

Way to go CTKidd! It was my first attempt at soldering too. Luckily, it all turned out o.k. HH

Back
Top Bottom