• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Lost rings--some that got away!!!

Cupajo

Elite Member
Date: May 16, 2010 05:21PM

Only twice in the years I have been metal detecting have I not found the ring I was hunting for someone that had asked me to find it. Last year a neighbor told me he had placed his wedding band in the cup holder of his folding beach chair and realized it was not there when he placed the chair in the trunk of his car at the end of a beautiful beach day.

I returned to the area where he was sitting and with him using my Ace 250 and me using my Excal we hunted for as much time as the on-coming darkness would allow without success. I spent many hours during the next several days searching for the jewel without success and could only conclude that someone had walked away with the fellows ring!

This AM marks the second occasion and I'm not too surprised as the ring was "lost" on Friday evening two days ago and I didn't get into the act until the whole area had been raked, walked on, parked on and in general made impossible to search with much chance for success. The lady and her husband had a tiff and in a fit of anger she had removed her wedding and engagement bands and tossed them out into a dark sandy/gravelly parking lot behind a bar!! (Oh yes, did I mention alcohol played a part in all this?)

They found the wedding band with several small diamonds on the surface on Friday evening with the help of flashlights, but the engagement ring with its 11/2 karat diamond remains at large! She told me about the diamond after I had searched for 45 minutes or so and I assured her that the odds shifted significantly toward her ring taking a walk and never returning!

The parking area was pretty well packed stone with a light sand coating and all I recovered was a couple of pennies and several pounds of bottle caps (Did I mention this was in the rear of a popular local bar?) even with the Ace 250 sensitivity reduced to allow any hunting at all.

I took her name etc. in the off chance that a second go might produce something, but I truly believe the ring is long gone!!

CJ
PS (It is now 12-27-11) Since I posted this I have spent several more hours hunting each of these rings with no success!

I did the same thing yesterday. I responded to a fellow who reported a ring lost on the lost my stuff website. He lost a ring in his yard while clearing brush in a 10x20 area.

With my BHID300 I was able to pass over all the iron and concentrate on aluminum signals. I passed on all the silver and clad siganls as well first concentrating on the gold and aluminum. After an hour, I dug all the aluminum in this mans yard. I then went back a dug all the silver and coin signals. I found a lot of neat thngs.

After three hours of searching the 10x20 area I had to leave. The ring was not found. We discussed many scenarios as to where he could have lost it with me saying, "Don't give up. It could be my coil just didn't pass over it. Could be the next fellow with a different coil and machine will walk in and find it in 10 minutes."

I think most people who lose items, not including your people in the parking lot or the man in the chair, think they know where they lost it looking at the obvious but not thinking that maybe it's somewhere else.

This man told me at the end of the search that he loaded the brush pile in his pick up truck and carried it to the dump. The ring could have come off when he unloaded the truck at the dump. It could have hung on a branch when he created the original pile.

It was fun trying though.

I wonder if a 4 inch coil rather than the 12 inch coil would have isolated more signals. The ring was lost last month so I figured it would be no less than 3 inches deep if that at all. If I get the time I might take my 6 inch coil over there on my land machine.

Coolwhips :cool:

This past August, 2011, I was approached by a young woman at the beach where I found "Gino's Ring". She congratulated me on the recovery and told me of a local elderly gentleman who had lost a gold pendant that was a gift from his dead wife.

Would I search for it?

I told her to have the man contact me and give me some specifics as to where to look and I would happily search for it and would certainly return it if I did find it.

She stood there with several of the biggest diamond rings I have ever seen on her two hands!:shock:

I assured her that they were at risk any time she wore them on the beach.

She told me they were a tight fit and hadn't given her a moments concern.

I explained that any lotion such as sun-block, a warm day and cold water such as we have locally are the main reason people lose rings and that after I had cautioned her, I felt that if she lost any of those fine rings and I found it I could keep it (I had a big smile when I said it).:yes:

That got me a cute smile, but I haven't seen the young lady or the elderly gentleman since then.:lol:

Just another day at the beach,

CJ

Back
Top Bottom