Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 01:06 PM

Default FEMA Flood area

The small town that my daughter lives in here in Kansas was hit with a "500 year" flood a few years back. The area where houses got flooded are now vacant lots, many have sidewalks and walks up to where the houses once stood. Most are mowed, perhaps by the city. I asked daughter how to find out who owns the lots and she said that FEMA owns them now and no one can build on them. She said just go ahead and hunt them. Shouldn't need permission.
Gotta add that my grandson is the Chief of Police so don't think there's gonna be any problems.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:17 AM
Elite Member

As owner of FEMA, I grant you permission. Just be sure to send me 30% cut of all your fiinds. I accept PayPal.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
As owner of FEMA, I grant you permission. Just be sure to send me 30% cut of all your fiinds. I accept PayPal.
Certainly. Do you accept crusty old pennies for payment?

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 AM

Finally talked to grandson (chief of police) and he said that FEMA doesn't own the lots, individuals still do. Guess I'll have to get permission from them.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by KiowaRd View post
Finally talked to grandson (chief of police) and he said that FEMA doesn't own the lots, individuals still do. Guess I'll have to get permission from them.
FEMA does have a Hazard Mitigation program where they buy property that's at repeated risk of being flooded.

But, it's still possible that individuals own the land and didn't go through the process once their property was totaled. Some places require you to purchase flood insurance if you are on a plain or to build a new house at a higher elevation (e.g. on top of pilings). Some people don't want to (or can't) deal with that, so they just leave.

(E.G. - The Jersey Shore after Sandy. Most have rebuilt, but there are still some abandoned/empty lots, new homes are on pilings, etc. Obviously the real estate market on the Jersey Shore is in higher demand then a house on the river in the middle of no where).

Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

That's an awsome site/sites. Especially since its mowed. That's a bonus in itself. HH. Hit her hard!

1 members found this post helpful.