Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Notices

Old 09-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Yeah. But someone could still say it falls afoul of some other ancillary language. Heck, there's even been posts of people who not only got the answer that the rules/laws are SILENT on the issue , but also even got permission (as if it were needed). And yes, printed that out. And then proudly whip out the paper to show some nosy parker.

But the cop or gardener or whomever gets on his cell phone. Calls down to city hall and says: "But he's tearing the place up " (which isn't true, of course). Then you're still sent packing. Thus always a good idea to pick low traffic times, since md'ing has ... uh .... connotations. It's gotten to the point where I do most of my turf hunting at night nowadays

True , but the email should be enough to make "most" of the uninformed protestors shut up and walk away.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ohiochris View post
True , but the email should be enough to make "most" of the uninformed protestors shut up and walk away.
Yes. It's not "bullet-proof", but you're right: It will deflect some busy-bodies. That, combined with some assurances that you/I are "leaving no trace". But you're right: Sometimes the mere mention of "so & so said it was ok", will work wonders . And yes: Not all busy-body encounters are as bleak as I portrayed.

Truth-be-told, most of the time no one cares less. So long as you mind your P's & Q's anyhow, don't stick out, choose low traffic times, etc.... So probably few needs to ever have to "prove" something to someone.

I knew a guy who used to help himself to old-town demolition sites all the time. And if ever accosted, would just say "the guy in the truck wearing blue jeans & ball cap here earlier said it was ok". And ... humorously ... most of the time they'd scratch their heads, and just say, "ok, lock the gate on your way out please". Because my friend knew that most const. workers "wore blue jeans" and "drove a truck", so .... no one seemed to question it. Hence you're right: The mere waving of a paper, or alluding to someone in authority does work a lot of times.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:11 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by George (MN) View post
I go to parks when sometimes hundreds are playing/watching baseball....
Yes, there are times when this has merit also. I know a park where the park workers *will* boot you. So word circulated in that certain city, decades ago, that "such & such park is off-limits" (because of the few scrams that club members were hearing).

So as the years progressed, a few people in that city studied the laws/rules carefully, and decided there was nothing *specific* . Only catch-all stuff that , yes, *would* apply and that the md'r would no doubt be on the loosing end of a debate. Eg.: cultural heritage, or alter/deface, etc... Thus a few locals in that town began to work the park at night.

But since it's in a bustling downtown nightlife area, there are times when EVEN AT NIGHT the park can have many people moving about. And the guys that were hunting it actually PREFERRED those busy night-life summer nights. Rather than after midnight or 1am when it's truly deserted. Because , ironically, if you're the ONLY person in a park at night, THAT'S what attracts attention (to a passing cop or whatever). Versus if scores of late night bar and restaurant patrons, couples on romantic walks, etc... are there, then you just "blend in" . Ie.: hiding in plain site . And yes: Not likely to get mugged, if plenty of other late night pedestrians are out and about.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:36 AM
Supporter

"I have a buddy that works at United Fruit, you could start out picking strawberries and work your way up to bananas!"

I love that Strother Martin riff!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:50 PM

I was just making a funny earlier now you went and made me have to
You-tube that scene, freaking hilarious, thanks for the laugh.

Indiana/Oldest Coin 1906 Barber HD from SW Tear up

Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 PM

YUP!!!! sounds like you have permission!!! Go ahead and hit it up before someone changes their mind. I Did something similar...Called the county park board and asked. The lady was very pleasant. She said she'd ask, put me on hold then gave me my answer. Said it was fine, just couldn't leave unsightly holes and dig big craters. Also, the park police, for what that's worth, saw me. I was parked in the wrong spot...He told it was fine to use my metal detector, but had to park in one of the parking lots, not the roads leading to the shelters...Yeh didn't make sense to me either. Guess he was having a slow day.

Since July, 2017 : 1941 Washington Quarter, 1927 Merc Dime, 1943 Merc Dime, 7 Wheaties, $12.49 in clad

Old 09-18-2017, 11:13 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by wvdave107 View post
... She said she'd ask, put me on hold then gave me my answer. Said it was fine, ...
Russian Roulette. A game I wouldn't risk. I've heard of it going completely the other way. And if the caller objects and says "where is that written?", it can go downhill rather quickly . From persons who probably never gave the matter thought before, nor would ever have paid it any mind perhaps.