White's Classic 1 modification

MvZ

Hello,

Last week I took my White's Classic 1 metal detector out in the fields to search for some old Dutch coins. At the time I bought the detector - about 7 years ago - it was a very decent beginners dector, but now I got the impression that new entry-level detectors perform better. Since I don't have a lot of money to spend on a new detector, I was wondering if it was possible to somehow modify the detector myself to increase it's peformance (I read on several sites that this can in fact be done with some detectors)

So, I'm looking for some easy to do modifications for my old White Classic 1 metal detector. What are the different kind of mods out there? I'm mainly interested in increasing the search depth of the detector, but perhaps adding more descrimination options are also useful.
I don't have a lot of experience in soldering, but easy things such as changing some resistors or adjusting some potmeters shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on this, so letting someone else do the modifications for me is not an option. Also, I consider myself to still be a beginner in metal detecting, so please keep that in mind :D

So... does anyone know how I can modify this detector to increase it's performance?

Kind regards,

Emil

Welcome to the forum from northern California. How about telling us a little about yourself...where you're from etc. Sounds like you've been at the "Dark Art" for several years. We're certainly glad you joined us.

I strongly recommend that you not attempt modifiying your MD yourself. Mr. Bill at Suirfscanner Detectors performs certain mods to the detector you mention, but he's a skilled electronics tech with the proper equipment, etc.

Here is a little bit about myself;
I'm a student at the universtity of groningen (Artificial Intelligence) in the Netherlands. My biggest hobby at the moment is webcam astronomy, but occasionaly I grab my metal detector and search for some old coins as well. I only search at farm lands where city junk was dumped at around 1900. This makes it an intersting place to search for old coins (dating from about 1750-1900).

In the future I might be out on the fields more, but for now it's something I don't really do that often.

I don't really have the funds to let someone else modify my detector, so that's why I was looking for some modifications I could do myself. I read about some simple modifications to increase the range of the Classic III (which uses the same motherboard, but with some different components); this modification was basically not much more than changing a couple of resistors (something that is fairly easy to do, I have some experience in modifying a webcam for long exposure, and the working area and components of the webcam are at least 10x smaller).

I already sent an email to Mr. Bill, but to date I have not yet received a response.

As far as I know Bill starts his mods with the classic III. The mods include replacing the on board pots for the G/B and threshold with external controls. This should be no problem for you. Some values are listed on the Geo forum. They also increase the sensitivity (power boost). I'm sure this is the resistor change you are talking about.

I use an MXT but do have a modified IDX and it is a good machine. Rob

Back
Top Bottom