Hello from Southern California

TxDuB

Hello, I'm relatively new to the hobby, even though I have had my metal detector laying around for EVER haha. I regret not picking it up sooner...

My girlfriend and I went to a larger park in Huntington Beach just to test out the detector and see if we get lucky. (Only found a set of very old GM car keys, and a penny haha).

We are currently using a fairly old Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. What I mainly want to do is look for gold nuggets in the desert, especially when I go to visit family in Lake Havasu. But from what I have read, this detector isn't the greatest for picking up gold nuggets (Darn!) but so far I am having fun anyway.

I've definitely got the treasure hunting bug, and fortunately for me so has my girlfriend. We now look forward to going hunting every day after work, and on weekends we plan on going camping up in the Mohave desert, or possibly somewhere in Northern California and looking for gold nuggets.

I'll share any finds I get, so far nothing has been interesting unless you lost your GM keys probably 20 years ago at a park haha.

Anyways, if you see a couple metal detecting around the parks in Southern California, thats probably us!

Great to hear that you're back out there swinging that coil! Yes, there are several real good detectors specifically made for finding gold nuggets easier. There are also special, usually smaller, nugget coils for many of the machines which will also increase your chances of finding nuggets. I don't think your BH has such a coil but maybe some other forum member will post on that issue. The Fisher Gold Bug detector is regarded highly by several forum members and Whites and Garretts make fine gold specific detectors/coils as well (there are others but I'm not all that familiar with them:o)

Back
Top Bottom