best find this summer

poorminer

I found this Fugio large cent a couple inches down within 2 feet of a 1760's home during the summer. I think it is a Newman L, but would like input from the experts out there, as there are many variations. Thanks !!

Attachments

• 04.jpg.jpg
    04.jpg.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 724
  • 05.jpg.jpg
    05.jpg.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 703
Well....it was a warm summer New York day....blue skies with puffy white clouds...songbirds filling the air with music....there was this woman in a bikini washing her car on the lawn at an old mid 1700's home that I wanted to dig at....now, I wanted to dig even more....because the water from the car washing would make the digging easier. I asked....she said yes and so it began....an affair so genuine....so young and full of promise that I knew there must be something about this virgin ground, as she stated noone had ever been there before. So I pulled out my equipment and she gasped at the size of the machine I had, and I quickly made my way to the high traffic areas. She said that I had permission to look anywhere I wanted, so I pushed past her to the far side of the house, where I caught a low 90's signal a couple feet away from the house. I dropped to my knees with my spade in hand. The soil was granular and dark and the grass broke away as I made my circular cut to pull out a plug, so much so that the coin lay in the 2-3 inch hole, begging for me to touch it....water and a soft toothbrush later, is what you see today. And actually....there was no woman in a bikini....thought the story would sound better than just saying it was an old family friends home and they said come on over anytime whether we are here or not....but it was a warm summer day with puffy white clouds and blue sky !!!

Congrats on your coin and the best story I've read in a LONG time to describe the dig. LOL You deserve another good hunt just for the story alone. Good luck on future hunts, with or without the bikini. : ) (Let me know when your Romance Novel comes out)

actually looks closer to a Newman 9-P. to me as you can see where the die crack on the reverse in the lower left center just outside the the inner circle of "States" near the "O" in "ONE" connecting to one of the rings.making it an earlier example of this variety.

Back
Top Bottom