tips for old homesteads

sandman1212

I am new to metal detecting and I am planning on getting permission to some later 1800's and early 1900's home sites in Oregon. My question is this:
is there a preferred area of the yard that may yield more goodies than another or is it a hit and miss?

for instance, was there a common location where people placed stashes that seem consistant? it seems that I read that people liked to place their stashes where they could see it out the kitchen window, etc.

Welcome from Oregon!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

As far as finding a "stash" or cache... could be anywhere - but usually hidden inside the house. Very few people ever have such luck.

Concentrate on the places that had the highest concentration of people walking about doing what they did. Don't be afraid to branch out away from the main house too - people lost stuff everywhere back then. Be sure to check high points (hilltops).

Look for travel ways, ie road fronts,driveways,walkways. basically where people walked around is where I find my goodies.

But its best to work the land with a system. grid search works good for me. Each property is a new challenge to figure out!

Koz

dig everything! That's the best tip you can get. I always find that targets that sound trashy at home sites are most times some kind of random relic.

Look if there is old trees ,people used to sit down under its shadows
an coins roll out of pockets....
Scan with the coil all old walls ,look for no ferrous signals.....
Go to the backside of the building /house,where the garden was...

If possible with your machine, do not discriminate out large ferrous items. I've found 100 year old wrenches, axes, wedges, gopher traps, pear-shaped scale weights, ox and horse shoes etc. by digging large ferrous signals. In my experience, coins on homesteads are hard to find (these people were usually dirt poor) so the things I like to find are those relics and shotgun shell headstamps.

If possible with your machine, do not discriminate out large ferrous items. I've found 100 year old wrenches, axes, wedges, gopher traps, pear-shaped scale weights, ox and horse shoes etc. by digging large ferrous signals. In my experience, coins on homesteads are hard to find (these people were usually dirt poor) so the things I like to find are those relics and shotgun shell headstamps.

When I found my Gaucho knife,I had discriminated iron but in spite of all
my ACE250 screamed a high signal :lol:

Attachments

• fotos y videos Uruguay Dic.  2012 029.jpg
    fotos y videos Uruguay Dic. 2012 029.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 566
  • fotos y videos Uruguay Dic.  2012 027.jpg
    fotos y videos Uruguay Dic. 2012 027.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 552
  • fotos y videos Uruguay Dic.  2012 033.jpg
    fotos y videos Uruguay Dic. 2012 033.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 565
Don't forget the path to the outhouse or the well. Also be carefull to look for these that have been covered up while you are around old homes.

Jeff

gotta try everywhere. You never know where someone dropped something. Maybe the area has been plowed or spread out too so take your time and hit every inch.

You could also draw an imaginary circle around the house and detect it
thoroughly .Then detect the outer circle.Just follow your instinct...

All the help...

Thanks for so much insight and tips! I am having fun and look forward to many hunts and explorations of my area and farther!

Back
Top Bottom