Talking with the Old Timer

Porsche914

Elite Member
I was hunting at a co workers property yesterday and when I was finished we were talking about my finds and other possible locations they may know about. That is when my co worker told me that I should talk to her father who has lived here all his life and knows where every old farmhouse is located. He comes outside and starts telling about all of these locations to hunt and colorful stories about the past.
Here is the good part....
He tells me a story about his father riding into town on business and on the way back is caught in a storm. He had been to the bank and had withdrawn $40, $20 in cash and $20 in silver dollars. He dropped the pouch with the silver somewhere on the property. Over the next few years the family finds a few of the dollars when they plow the field but he estimates that at least 15 of them are still in the field. :D
The property is about a mile from my house and is open access. I will hunt it next weekend and report back.

Good luck. If its a field that's been plowed for a few years they may be scattered over more than a few acres by now. Who knows though, you might walk out and find the remainder of the bag in one hole.

I am pumped but will have to wait until Saturday. I plan on taking the video camera just in case I start hitting the coins.
I printed a large arial map of the area and the old man is marking it up so I can start the search off right.

OldTimer with info

That's great! Oldtimers are certainly the source of information that you cannot get in any old newspaper or library book. Best of luck and hope you are able to provide us with an update on your finds.
Dan

Got the map back which narrowed down the search area quite a bit. Now for the fun on Saturday. I have read so many times that the item you are looking for is never exactly where they remember it was lost. Add to this nearly 80 years and a new generation relating the story so I may end up searching all 10 acres.

Update

Hunted for a few hours and came up with a clad quarter and a Memorial. The lot is pretty much trash free and it is going to take a long time to cover it.

Visited with the old man again and this time I showed him where I hunted and got clarification about the area. Turns out I was in the wrong spot and part of the "area" has houses on it. I will try the rest of the field soon and post findings.

I was hunting at a co workers property yesterday and when I was finished we were talking about my finds and other possible locations they may know about. That is when my co worker told me that I should talk to her father who has lived here all his life and knows where every old farmhouse is located. He comes outside and starts telling about all of these locations to hunt and colorful stories about the past.
Here is the good part....
He tells me a story about his father riding into town on business and on the way back is caught in a storm. He had been to the bank and had withdrawn $40, $20 in cash and $20 in silver dollars. He dropped the pouch with the silver somewhere on the property. Over the next few years the family finds a few of the dollars when they plow the field but he estimates that at least 15 of them are still in the field. :D
The property is about a mile from my house and is open access. I will hunt it next weekend and report back.

Now that's one of those stories that would have me drinking a half bottle of NyQuil just to get to sleep every night until I could go out and hunt the old place. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom