Do you dig every chirp?

Daddy-O

Do you all try to dig every chirp that is made by your detector? I know that we will eventually learn what to dig and what not to dig, but we're not there yet. I have noticed that sometimes I get repeated blips or chirps over an area, but cannot pinpoint them. Then there are some spots that make a noise once that I can not find a second time. Then there are the ones that are repeatable and solid that can be easily pinpointed. We generally dig all of those, but not the others. Should we be doing something differently?
Daddy-O

The area i'm in contains a LOT of historical stuff, so I dig just about everything, except for screwcaps and pull tabs. I dig a lot of trash yes, but it gets it out of the way so as to expose what's below. It's gotten me good stuff, so I figure why not? If I hunt there again, at least I won't have to contend with it. :grin:

HH as always,

Bri-

Chirps that don't repeat are usually nails or small bits of iron that are discriminated out, but by all means dig and learn what your detector is telling you. Once you have more experience you will know.

A lot depends on the site you are hunting. If I was hunting a lawn in a school yard there would probably be trash. I can't afford to dig up the lawn if I want to continue hunting there. I would be more selective.

If I hunt an area that has a certain type of trash, (certain bottle cap) I might ignore that signal. Especially if it is a newer site where old items won't be found.

If it is an old site, I would dig everything. There is no answer for all sites. Don't forget to mention the detector you use when asking advise. Each detector has its own quirks. Rob

I agree totally with Rob. I go to sites that are covered with old brass shell casings, and I will dig only the targets that have a Slightly different tone than the ones I get with just a single casing. It could mean another target being masked by the brass. But this is something you will learn to do in time. Very slight, subtle differences in tone will take time for you to get used to, but with patience and time, you will master it well.

I dig everything...

...even the pulltabs and bottlecaps.

I feel at the very least I'm helping to clean up the invironment and I'm also keeping the next guy MD'n there from having to remove it.  :grin:

Like Rob and Hoser said, it depends on the site. I dug a "whisper" target at an old church and came up with two 1918 and one 1926 wheaties at about 9". If I hadn't have been digging everything at this old site, I would have missed three of the coins in this picture.

Attachments

• twoihwheats.jpg
    twoihwheats.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 395
I really appreciate all the points mentioned here. I have a Bounty Hunter 505 - less than a week old - so everything is brand new. There are a LOT of chirps - singletons - can't get them to repeat.....SO I let them go. Thus far I am working city and state parks - and only dealing w/ surface stuff. I need to learn the machine. It is also so very hot and dry - unusual for this part of the country. The normally workable soil is like concrete.

For those familiar w/ BH - am I wise to be using the auto-notch setting ..... or should I be doing something else?

Thanks

Yeah, I agree. Only if I can get the chirp to repaet itself, and depending on where I am and what I'm looking for.

i was using the bounty hunter camo-ls. i was at a ghost town in utah name mercur use to be an old silver and gold mining operation. i had it set on heavy discrimination and i was in a creek bed. i found a copper or bass cap. was it suppose to pick that up? i have to go back there got something 8 inches and forgot to look to see what it was. i didn't dig i had the wrong shovel with me need a bigger on. this time i take the time ranger with me. the a mile away is west dip part of mercur might be good there too got lot of 22 and bigger shell there. might have to set the TR up to not to detect nothing more the 2 to 4 inches deep to pass all that gun shells.

zack_black said:
I dig everything...

...even the pulltabs and bottlecaps.

I feel at the very least I'm helping to clean up the invironment and I'm also keeping the next guy MD'n there from having to remove it.  :grin:
zack you must be about 15 years old with a strong back. :wow:

Back
Top Bottom