Finally found a Barber!

Foragist

Forum Supporter
They dug up part of a boy scout camp in town the other day, to put in a new building. I went there a couple days ago, and again today. Wasn't finding much good stuff; just the football medallion, trolley car pin, phonograph pendant, a couple bucks in clad, and lots o junk. The last half hour or so produced my very first Barber anything, and it's a Quarter! Did not expect a quarter because the signal was messed up by a bent nail. Then I found an actual Boy Scout item; the neckerchief slide. The old Key is cool too.

Attachments

• DSCN7157.jpg
    DSCN7157.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN7162.jpg
    DSCN7162.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN7163.jpg
    DSCN7163.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCN7164.jpg
    DSCN7164.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 254
Congrats on the barber!! And it's a quarter! What year is it? I like that scout slide too. I've dug a few just like it.

Congrats on the sweet Barber and other nice finds!
Thanks Waveoff. It's about time I popped one of these!

Congrats on the barber!! And it's a quarter! What year is it? I like that scout slide too. I've dug a few just like it.
Thanks man. It's 1901. My oldest quarter ever...so far. No mint mark. It had a dirt crust on the face, so I rinsed it in a little rain puddle. It came out with that one shiny spot with a stain ring around it. I'll probably shine it up another day.

Feels good to scratch one off, congrats! My first barber was a quarter as well but a smoothie. Nice Save!

CongratZ...same as my history.
I never found a Barber anything for years, then finally I dug up a few V nickels.
Sure, they were Barbers but not the silver kind and I wanted a Barber dime so bad but could never find one.
Finally last year I dug up a Barber quarter, I was thrilled, but I still needed to find that dime.
A couple of days ago I finally found that elusive coin.

Now the half dollar has moved up to the top of the list.

Congrats on the barber quarter! Is that a partially diamond encrested trolley car? :shock:
Rhinestones. The windows were colored glass. Most of are gone. Just junk, but "nifty"

Congrats on crossing the Barber Quarter off your bucket list...excellent dig!
Thank you Cap'n. It was only about 3 inches down, but that dirt had been moved, ran over, etc. by the heavy machinery.

Feels good to scratch one off, congrats! My first barber was a quarter as well but a smoothie. Nice Save!

Thanks. Yes it does feel good. After the big machinery moved it, I'm glad it wasn't damaged!
I never found a Barber anything for years, then finally I dug up a few V nickels.
Sure, they were Barbers but not the silver kind and I wanted a Barber dime so bad but could never find one.
Finally last year I dug up a Barber quarter, I was thrilled, but I still needed to find that dime.
A couple of days ago I finally found that elusive coin.

Now the half dollar has moved up to the top of the list.

Thanks, and big congrats on the Barber dime. I'll be racing you to find a silver half next. Ready? Go!

Sure, they were Barbers but not the silver kind

Just realized that I do have a smooth 1887 V nickel from several years ago. Never thought of it as a "Barber". So, minor correction to by "first Barber anything" claim. Thanks for making that point.

And it's quarter 👍
Funny how some coins can be so hard to find .
Congradulations on the save . Bet it was a good feeling to dust that one off and see it for the first time .
,Dew

That's awesome, and a Barber quarter to boot! Big congrats on scratching that one off your bucket list.

I'm still looking for my first Barber coin - hopefully I'll be able to join the club soon!

Congrats on finding Barber silver! I've got a few Barber dimes, but the quarters elude me - nice job crossing off a bucket list item! And I really like that key - nice, unique find there, too :cool:

A awesome hunt for sure. The Scout Slide is an old one, very neat and to dig your first Barber, a Quarter to boot, really nice! congrats Foragist on some very nice digs and a great looking Barber Quarter. Trapper

Thanks Peeps. Now, as far as individual coins go, in the realm of some possibility, that is, I think I will move "any silver half dollar" to the top of my newly revised list.

Back
Top Bottom