What's The Concensus? : Wind The Coil Cable Or Not?

I don't wind. I just velcro the cable straight to the shaft - about half way. Then I plug the coil in and gather any slack, loop it, and velcro the loop to the upper part of the shaft.

Is that coil also on backwards in the picture ?

Good eye. It sure looks like it......:laughing:

Sometimes there are valid reason for mounting "backwards". For example, if the coil is on the heavy side and the mounting slugs are not in the center of the coil, mounting it "backwards" reduces the swing mass at the end of the shaft and it is less stress on your elbow and shoulder to mount it that way.

I used to have a coil like that and it was much better for me to mount it "backwards".

Thanks for typing for me Rudy🙂

You are welcome. :lol:

Sometimes there are valid reason for mounting "backwards". For example, if the coil is on the heavy side and the mounting slugs are not in the center of the coil, mounting it "backwards" reduces the swing mass at the end of the shaft and it is less stress on your elbow and shoulder to mount it that way.

I used to have a coil like that and it was much better for me to mount it "backwards".

You are welcome. :lol:

Surf hunters would mount it like that too in order to stop the wave back-wash from flipping the coil straight back along the shaft. Called it a "goofy foot" mount. Dang surfer lingo :lol:

As for coil cord wrapping, most of time it wont make a difference. Some times it can. Think about the electrical properties. Any time you coil a wire and pass a current through it you get a radio signal generated. The "denser" the wrap, the more EM field is generated. Its the exact same thing happening inside the search coil.

Even if you dont notice a problem, you are always THEORETICALLY better if you run the first foot or so of wire straight up the shaft before you begin winding it. And it should always be snug.

For several reasons....

Biggest being, hydrodynamics, I run my wire straight up to one side, all my slack is coiled near the control box... It equals a lot of lost resistance when swinging in deeper water..

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom