Minelab battery replacement type (FBS)

coin pirate

Forum Supporter
I thought this deserved it's own thread, I pulled this from one of my responses to a different thread.

Battery holder for Safari, Explorer series, E-Trac, CTX, Quattro

This will be my setup, utilizing 3x 18650 Flat Top Batteries which I use on other items and like how they charge/discharge, have overcharge protection, no memory discharge, and reasonable cost, life cycle of recharging.
The guy selling this made it from a 3D printer.

picture.php

picture.php

Buy here--->https://www.ebay.com/itm/Li-ion-bat...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I plan on buying a spare to make change out quick and easy, also he will give bulk discounts, way less expensive than the rechargeable setups at well over a 100 bucks each. These are for the holders only so you can choose your own brand preference and ma rating. I'm going with 3000ma to 3400ma batteries.

Besides less weight, why are you adding lithium batteries to your Safari? Why don't you just pop in 8 Eneloops?

You can also stick new rechargeables into the original factory NIMH battery pack after carefully opening it up. The stock Minelab charger can be used and it'll last in the field for 18+ hours...cost was about $12

You can also stick new rechargeables into the original factory NIMH battery pack after carefully opening it up. The stock Minelab charger can be used and it'll last in the field for 18+ hours...

Mine apparently needs more surgery to replace the batteries. No springs on the tab side and the charger end of the batteries is "permanently" affixed.

Besides less weight, why are you adding lithium batteries to your Safari? Why don't you just pop in 8 Eneloops?

Price of batteries for one, the 18650's will also last longer over life, they're used by Minelab in their sealed battery packs, used also in power tools, vapes, laptops, I've had experience with them, readily available cheap.

My battery pack that's dead was just a standard AA battery pack, that I probably will replace with rechargeable AA's unless I get another setup like the 18650's.

Price of batteries for one, the 18650's will also last longer over life, they're used by Minelab in their sealed battery packs, used also in power tools, vapes, laptops, I've had experience with them, readily available cheap.

My battery pack that's dead was just a standard AA battery pack, that I probably will replace with rechargeable AA's unless I get another setup like the 18650's.

I highly doubt that...at least compared to Eneloop AA NiMH cells.

Life expectancy, some can be charged over 2000 times, Not too familiar with the Enelopop, but I'll post future run times, but 8 batteries vs 3?

Lithiums don't have the durability and longevity (in cycles) of high quality LSD NiMHs, like Eneloops. They're also far more temperamental and dangerous. They do have more power for a given weight than NiMHs, though.

I personally have a strong aversion to using lithium cells whenever I can, unless the application leaves me with no other choice.

One of the biggest drawbacks with NiMH cells is their weight. This is especially acute in a things that you have to carry for expended periods of time or things that fly. Another drawback is their ability to handle high current draws. Some lithiums can handle them better than batteries with nickel based chemistries, although it depends on other factors. But in the metal detecting world, high current applications don't really exist.

I'm also willing to bet that even if those lithium cells can be cycled more than 2,000 times (probably closer to 500-1,000), you'll get a more drastic drop off in performance than Eneloops (just guestimating).

Eneloops are extremely forgiving and very durable, especially to long-term use.

Lithiums don't have the durability and longevity (in cycles) of high quality LSD NiMHs, like Eneloops. They're also far more temperamental and dangerous. They do have more power for a given weight than NiMHs, though.

I personally have a strong aversion to using lithium cells whenever I can, unless the application leaves me with no other choice.

One of the biggest drawbacks with NiMH cells is their weight. This is especially acute in a things that you have to carry for expended periods of time or things that fly. Another drawback is their ability to handle high current draws. Some lithiums can handle them better than batteries with nickel based chemistries, although it depends on other factors. But in the metal detecting world, high current applications don't really exist.

I'm also willing to bet that even if those lithium cells can be cycled more than 2,000 times (probably closer to 500-1,000), you'll get a more drastic drop off in performance than Eneloops (just guestimating).

Eneloops are extremely forgiving and very durable, especially to long-term use.

Pluses and minuses on both sides, I always buy the ones with circuit protection, and I've had great success with no hazards, not trying to find a replacement for Nimh, this is just another option for folks wanting to save some money over those 100+ dollar sealed battery packs.

And Eneloops are a good option. All you have to do is pop in the AA cells. And they can be used all around your house in almost anything that uses AA batteries. One notable exception appears to be the Fisher F-Pulse.

Oh, and they'll hold the vast majority of their charge for years.

And Eneloops are a good option. All you have to do is pop in the AA cells. And they can be used all around your house in almost anything that uses AA batteries. One notable exception appears to be the Fisher F-Pulse.

Oh, and they'll hold the vast majority of their charge for years.

As far as nimh batteries go, I've always been partial EBL,higher mAh ratings and have lasted a long time in my cases, also rated some of the best in online reviews.

You got stock in Eneloop's:lol:

No, but I've been a user of them since they first came out...I think in 2008?

Back
Top Bottom